Screaming Colour

-
For as long as you can remember, you've adored polaroid photos. It's all because of your Mother; she'd been obsessed with them. At your childhood home you could find a shelf full of photo albums, all containing numerous polaroids taken by your Mother. She'd given you a vintage camera for your 18th birthday and you'd treasured it ever since. You had brought it to college with you. And you had a ridiculous amount of drunk party pictures from those times. Every polaroid you had held meaning to you; they reminded you of happy times.

Your boyfriend, Spencer, was enamoured by this particular quirk. He was not one for technology, and appreciated your love of what was a slightly outdated mode of photography.

You'd been a member of the BAU for just under a year when Spencer had asked you out. Given how quiet he was, it came as a surprise. But you were happy that he liked you enough to work up the courage to ask you on a date. He'd been kind to you from the moment you'd arrived; and he'd been the one to show you the ropes. You appreciated his friendship, but were definitely interested in more. So, when he asked you out, you eagerly agreed.

The first date was amazing. Most dates you'd been on hadn't been particularly enjoyable, you felt like guys didn't make as much effort as they once did. But Spencer was a true gentlemen. He arrived on time, with flowers in hand. He took you to a small, but fancy, restaurant, and kissed you gently at the end of the night.

You knew he'd be an excellent boyfriend.

On your second date, you'd shyly brought along your camera. Most guys tended to not understand. Typically they would ask why you didn't just use the camera on your phone. But Spencer seemed to appreciate the beauty of polaroids.

"I like it." He'd commented "On digital cameras, people take hundreds of pictures of a moment, and choose the best one. I like that with a polaroid camera, you just get the one shot, it might not be perfect, but it's more real."

After that, Spencer had become your favourite subject. Whenever you were alone with him, you'd take the opportunity to capture him. He was beyond gorgeous, like a piece of art come to life. You snapped pictures of him when you went for walks in the park, or went on day trips to various museums. And if the team weren't looking, you'd take a sneaky photo of him, peacefully sleeping on the jet.

Whilst your boyfriend would graciously allow you to constantly take his photo, he would often turn the tables. When he got the chance, he would steal your camera away from you, and would take your photo. When the polaroids were printed, he would, more often than not, steal them for himself.

It would be annoying, if he wasn't so cute.

He would also regularly insist on the two of you taking photos together. It was difficult sometimes, polaroid cameras weren't made for selfies. When you were out in public, away from the team, you would occasionally ask a kind stranger to take one of the two of you.

Your absolute favourite photo had been taken about four months into your relationship. The two of you had used a rare weekend off to go on a road trip to the beach. Spencer had never enjoyed the beach before you, but you'd managed to make him appreciate it. The photo was taken just as the sun was setting. It wasn't a particularly warm day, so the two of you had bundled up in warm jumpers, and had brought blankets with you.

You had been sat close to Spencer, gently resting if your head on his shoulder. He'd quietly grabbed the camera from your bag, and had held it out in front of your faces.

"Smile." He'd whispered, before clicking the button.

You'd been startled by the sudden movement, and had let out a surprised giggle. When the photo had properly developed, it had made your heart ache. The photo showed you giggling, and Spencer looking at you, with a pleased smiled on his face. His eyes were warm, and full of emotion.