Chapter 5: The Polar Vortex

The next few days pass without a major toy or bone incident. We have a few disagreements over bones and balls, but we manage to work it out. The mouth game remains one of our favorites, especially since we haven’t been outside much. The white stuff continues to stack in the backyard. Nate keeps a path shoveled for us, but the snow outside the path is higher than my head. Occasionally I will trek into the uncharted territory if I’m on a squirrel- or dog-scent trail. But most of the time Peach and I stay on the path. 

This morning Nate and Hannah put on our hoodies. I start running in circles, expecting a walk since we only wear our hoodies for a walk in the snow. Nate bundles up with more clothes than I have ever seen him wear. He walks to the back door, and I chase after him, confused as to why we are going out the back door instead of the front. When he opens the door, a terrible, freezing wind hits my wrinkles. I tremble and follow him outside. 

“Peach, let’s go,” Nate says. She is standing at the door, not moving. “C’mon, time to go outside.” Peach looks at Nate like he is nuts. She has no interest in going outside. Nate walks back into the doorway, lifts Peach outside, and shuts the door. 

“Okay, c’mon,” he says, walking on the path to the back. 

I run in front of him and sprint to the fence—my regular route. When I reach the fence, I am winded. The frigid air hurts my lungs when I breathe. My ears are frozen to my head, and my paws are beginning to ache from the contact with the very cold air. It’s never been this cold before. I turn and look at Peach. She is waiting by the door, trembling. I need to hurry up. I find the spot, quickly do my business, and sprint to the house. 

After a few sprints, I start goose honking. It’s so hard to breathe out here. When I finally catch my breath, I move slowly to help my lungs process the very cold air. As I walk to the door, one of my back paws starts aching. My toes feel frozen together. I lift the paw and continue the trek on three legs. It’s not ideal, but I can manage. As I hop along, I see Nate let Peach inside. He turns and sees me, then jogs to meet me. 

“Oh, Zelda, I’m sorry it’s so cold,” he says. “Come here.” He picks me up, warming my frozen back paw with his hand as he carries me inside. Nate carries me to the couch; Peach has already claimed a spot on the fuzzy blanket next to Hannah. I lie next to her and let my body warm up. I lick the white stuff off my paw. Immediately it feels better. 

“The cold is tough on Zelda and Peach,” Nate says, taking off a layer of clothes. 

“I bet,” Hannah says. 

“I had to carry Zelda inside because she was limping from the cold, and Peach didn’t make it much farther than the door.”

“Oh, geez. I guess we will do what we have to the next few days to help them out. Stupid polar vortex,” Hannah says. 

“You just like saying ‘polar vortex’.”

“So? Polar vortex is an awesome phrase.” I tune them out and fall asleep. 

I wake up later in the afternoon to a toy hitting me in the face. I open my eyes to see Peach flying toward me. Somehow she doesn’t squash me. Instead, she rips the duck off my head and jumps back to the floor. I should join the fun, but I really need to go out first. I walk toward the back door. 

“Zelda needs to go out,” Ben yells. 

“Okay, you need to put on her hoodie. And you need to go out with her because it’s so cold. Make sure you bundle up, too,” Hannah says. 

“All right.” 

Ben grabs my hoodie, and I cooperate. I learned from my last trip that the hoodie is a good thing today. He leaves me stranded by the door as he walks upstairs. 

Hurry up, people! I have to go.

After what seems like five hours, he returns downstairs with more clothes on. He opens the door.

As I walk into the yard, it feels worse than earlier. 

How is that even possible? 

I don’t even bother running to the back fence this time. It’s too cold. I find a spot on the path and run back to the door in record time. Ben lets me inside, and I run straight for Peach and the duck. I slide into the duck, grab it, and run the opposite direction. Peach chases me around the dining room table and into the living room. In the living room, I shake the duck, which slips from my mouth and goes flying into the air. Magically, it hits Peach in the head, and she stares at me dumbfounded, like I planned for that to happen. 

Peach doesn’t make it outside again until the darkness comes. We both run outside, ready for the coldness. This time Hannah lets us out but doesn’t come with us. We both sprint our fastest to the back fence. Peach spins in about twenty circles before she does her business, then she sprints to the door. I have no idea how she can run in so many circles without falling over. A freezing blast of wind refocuses me. The hoodie barely helps in this wind. As I find the perfect spot, a sharp pain runs through my front paw. 

Shoot. I wasn’t fast enough. 

I head for the door where Peach is waiting. She barks, telling me to hurry so we can go inside. When I don’t speed up, she sprints to me and sees me walking on three legs. She barks again at me, letting me know she is going to get help. She sprints back to the door. I continue hopping along while she barks and jumps at the door. She hits the door with her head one time and then keeps on barking and jumping. Finally, someone opens it. Peach jumps and bites at what looks like Hannah’s hands, then she takes off for me. When she reaches me, she sprints back to the door, which is now closed. 

I feel my other paw freezing, and I know I am in trouble. I keep chugging along. This is the only time I wish we had a smaller yard. I am maybe ten pugs away. 

I hear the door open again amid Peach’s barks. Hannah walks outside and sends Peach in as she quickens her pace toward me. I stop and wait as she scoops me up. She carries me inside, and I let out a big sigh. 

“I’m sorry, Zelda,” Hannah says. “I should have gone out with you. I thought you were going to be quick like this afternoon. I’m sorry,” she says again. I lick her face. I should have been quicker. It wasn’t very smart of me.

Hannah sets me on the couch. Peach is playing with Lucy. I let the pain in my paws fade, and then I jump off the couch and walk to Peach. I lick her face, and then I steal the duck from her. I’m so glad Peach is looking out for me, but that’s my duck!