12: l.dh

the rain pattered against the dark boy's umbrella whilst he walked through the empty streets. no one in their right mind and someone with them would be out in the rain, but donghyuck wasn't in his right mind. all he knew was na jaemin, netflix, and cuddle. just the thought of what had transpired minutes ago had him smiling, giddy and calm at the same time.

the pretichor calmed the nerves that managed to surface, because no matter how much he knew everything would work out well, there was still a pesky little fiend up there trying to derail him. it mattered not how he knew from the start of junior year that jaemin liked him back, and the fact that –as chenle would put it– he was too cock to ask the younger boy out didn't help.  lee donghyuck wasn't a nervous wreck, he was simply second guessing himself; something he did all the time.

the barren streets and lack of foot traffic allowed donghyuck to get to jaemin's house faster than he thought he would. there was no backing out now. he rang the doorbell and closed his umbrella, hoping no stray water droplets found their way onto his (favourite) leather jacket. a few seconds later, jaemin came tumbling down the entrance to open the door, and donghyuck just knew he was tripping over his own feet and the shoes in the way that he and his dad never bothered to move. when the door opens, a messy haired jaemin is standing in front of him, sweater crumpled from lying down on one side and his hair flying about the place.

"you look like a mess." donghyuck says, a small smile playing at his lips.

and with that jaemin loses all the tension in his shoulders. "a mess for you." and his eyes crinkled in delight. setting his plastic umbrella to lean against the door frame, donghyuck walks in, sitting comfortably on the couch as if he lived there (he basically did, his top three summer locations were his house, jaemin's house, and with jaemin) and looks at the screen. 

"you weren't kidding when you said you were gonna make fun of tall girl," the smile on his face not once faltering. "you think your life is hard? try wearing size thirteen nikes." he started with a mocking voice. making eye contact with jaemin in his second's pause, they laugh after saying together "men's size thirteen nikes."

blitzing out the living room for a second to get more snacks (he'd eaten the designated ones already), jaemin came back with a chocolate dip and peaches, doritos, and gummy worms. the mocha coloured boy appreciated his failed attempt at being healthy, but loved the fact that he was allowed to be as gross as he wanted. the blond boy sat beside donghyuck, their thighs brushing against each other.

but donghyuck wasn't paying attention to the screen. he'd spaced out, living up in his head, and happened to be staring at jaemin. in his head ran everyday thoughts, ranging from why did i wear the jacket to his house? to he's just so... pretty...

and he didn't seem to notice jaemin looking back at him. 

the other boy had lost interest in the movie he's seen at least five times and was looking around his living room and ended up looking at donghyuck, who's eyes were blown. blown not from ecstasy or pleasure, but blown from just... staring. the far off look in his gaze eased jaemin in knowing he wasn't going to get caught staring, at least for now.

a minute later, the older boy blinked, only to be met with big, chestnut eyes looking back at him. an awkward laugh left his mouth and the doorbell ringing again started donghyuck and he instinctively stood up. jaemin laughed at his response and pulled thirty dollars off the stand next to the couch. once he came back, he was holding two pizza boxes, and a smaller one on top.

"pepperoni with spinach and green peppers with white sauce, hawaiian with white sauce, a brookie." the young boy listed as he set the boxes down on the coffee table before them. "junk food galore because skinny legends need to eat too, and i know you didn't eat before you came here."

"sometimes i forget that you're not just my crush but my best friend and it makes my heart flutter," the purple haired boy said, opening one of the larger boxes and grabbing a slice. with his mouth full, he continued on. "then i realise, i'm the cool one in this relati- shit i haven't even taken you on a date yet, ignore that."

jaemin almost choked on his pizza from laughing. after swallowing his food, his hand waving in front of his face to catch his breath, the boy giggled while saying "true, i'll be looking forward to tomorrow,

"you can just stay over too, like a–" he thought for a second before continuing. "a pre-date date! words are all made up anyway."

and with that, donghyuck's heart swelled the size of the sun. wasn't na jaemin just the sweetest boy?

hours passed and the door opened at exactly four forty eight p.m. jaemin's dad would sometimes wait outside until the time to keep his schedule. and his dad would turn the switch seven times out of fear; fear that if he didn't the house would burn down, no matter how many years he's lived and hasn't left the lights on, no matter how much everyone tells him he's fine. and this is why jaemin was slightly touchy about the o.c.d topic.

at four fifty he had made his way to the kitchen and saw the two boys in passing. once he'd finally poured his cup of water and sat at the dining table, he sent the –what are they? friends? lovers? people with mutual feelings?– a wave, acknowledging their presence. he went for his shower at five p.m after taking his medication.

the movie had since ended and jaemin had his head resting on donghyuck's lap, looking up at the older. donghyuck's hand was carding through jaemin's hair and they fell asleep there –how? they don't know– and woke up at dusk. the tanned male shook jaemin awake and they made their way down the hall to his room; he's there enough to just have clothes there.

seven o'clock and two teenage boys are going to bed, wrapped in each other's embrace as usual.