Chapter Six- Volleyball and Bitches

So the next day I went back to school. I dreadfully trudged to my first period, taking my seat in the very back and yanking my book from my backpack. When I saw the teacher walk in I set the novel down and walked up to her, asking if I had missed anything important the day before. She shook her head and dismissed me back to my seat with a wave of her newly manicured hand. I rolled my eyes and walked back to my seat.

All throughout this class, she rambled on and on about nothing that was even close to being school related. This gave me a chance to finish the book I was reading and plan to make a stop at the Library after school to return it and pick up a few more. Unluckily for me though, we still had twenty minutes to go when I finished the book.

I sighed and looked around the classroom, taking in everyone’s appearances. To the right of me there were a few girls wearing Cheerleading Uniforms, obviously cheerleaders. In front of them there were a bunch of muscular looking guys wearing jerseys; football players. Then, directly in front of me were all the nerds that do their work the day that it’s assigned to them. That’s the majority of the people who make up the class, besides another really quiet kid that sits up in the front right corner of the room, by the door.

Until the bell rang, I laid my head on the desk. When it did finally ring, I jumped up and collected my bag, heading to Pre-Calculus. I knew that I had missed something in that class because math homework is given daily, so when I entered the classroom I walked up to the teacher and collected the homework I had missed the day before.

I sat in my seat, which was yet again in the back of the room, and started doing the work. I may not have learned the lesson that was taught yesterday, but I’m damn good at math no matter what and I knew how to do this. When the teacher came around to check homework, mine was already done and his eyes widened just a tad bit before marking me down for having it complete and walking back to his desk.

He entered attendance and started the new lesson. I doodled in my math notebook until the bell rang because I had no need to pay attention, I knew what he was talking about already and I was really good at it. You see, I could test out of every math class at this school, but then that would require going to a college for one period a day and I didn’t want to do that.

The bell rang and I had successfully sketched a bunch of puppies mixed in with a kitty and a few mice. I was talented in art, I had been told. Which is why that’s one of my electives, alone with gym, which I was heading to right now.

I walked into the gym and spotted Harry right away. I jogged over to him and he smiled, hugging me tightly around the waist. A blush crept to my cheeks and he grinned cheekily at me upon noticing this.

“What are we doing today?” I asked him, pushing my hand through my blonde hair and peering up at him with my blue eyes. The teacher came out and answered before Harry had the chance to open his mouth.

“We started our Volleyball unit yesterday.” Miss Derrick smiled at me. She was a fairly young teacher, maybe in her mid-thirties, and she looked like she played quite a few sports in her high school and college years.

I gave her a swift nod before heading into the locker room to change. I pulled on a pair of shorts and a T-shirt before exiting and going to stand next to Harry. He wrapped his arm around my waist and I blushed again before noticing a very bleach blonde girl glaring a hole threw me. I shrugged it off and wrapped my own arm around Harry.

“We’ll be splitting you into teams.” Miss Derrick announced. “Harry, Anastasia, Robert, Gabi, Karlee, and Malcolm on this side of the court.” She motioned for us to go to the opposite side than we were on. The girl who was glaring at me was on the other team, still glaring daggers at me.

“And Stephanie, Frank, Kassi, Richard, Damien, Valerie on this side.” The bleach blonde walked over and took a spot. Hmmm was she Stephanie, Kassi, or Valerie?

I shrugged and took hold of the ball since my team was serving first and I was the server this time around. I threw the ball into the air and served it perfectly, instantly gaining a point for our team. Harry turned around from where he was standing and grinned at me, giving me a double thumbs up.

“Nice job Anastasia!” Miss Derrick appraised, I grinned and served again, gaining another point. With a short laugh from me, I continued to serve until my time was up and it was time for the next server.

When the next server served, the blonde girl spiked it and hit me square in the face, making me fall onto my butt. Harry ran over to me, along with Miss Derrick, to see if I was okay.

“Just peachy.” I muttered sarcastically, standing up and glaring at the girl forcefully. She gave me a sweet smile and ran her fingers through her hair.

“Redo!” Miss Derrick demanded, glaring at the girl, “And Valerie, don’t aim for Anastasia’s face.” The blonde girl, Valerie, tried to protest but the next serve was sent her way. When it was hit over the net I bumped it back, it hitting the ground on their side and our side getting a point.

We finished the game, my team winning, and I was about to change when Miss Derrick called me over to her, big grin on her face.

“Ana! You’re wonderful at Volleyball.” This made me blush. “I’d really like you to try out. I’m the volleyball coach for the Varsity team and I think you’d be a great addition to the team. Come see me sometime so we can set you up a try out time.” I nodded and headed into the locker room right as all the other girls left. There was a note on my locker.

I pulled it off and read it in my head. This is what it said;

So, new girl, I’ve had my eyes on Harry ever since he started going here. I know he’s new too, but I like him. Keep your hands off him and stay away from him or we’re gonna have some trouble. I’m a cheerleader, meaning all of the football team is on my side.

Stay away from Harry Styles, or else. He’s mine.

Valerie :) xo

I laughed and threw the note in my locker, changing and getting out of there. Harry was waiting for me by the entrance of the girls’ locker room. He saw the look on my face and slung his arm around my shoulder.

“What’s wrong?” He questioned.

“Oh nothing.” I laughed as we walked off to our fourth hour; art.