I Love You

I walk into Anne's house with Dad's arm linked in mine to stabilise myself, in comparison to him, I look sickly. I tried fixing my blotchy face with makeup, but I kept crying through it, so I gave up. I threw on a baggy tee-shirt with the Beetlejuice movie poster printed on it and a pair of black skinny jeans with vans. I wasn't prepared to make an effort for anyone tonight.

"Hey, how're you feeling?" Gemma says as she comes up to me, handing me an apple cider and I take it nodding at her through straight lips.

"Hey Gemma, how've you been?" Dad asks her as he pulls her into a hug and they make conversation while I walk to the kitchen where Anne sits, 'Ever Since New York' playing in the backgrounds sends shivers through my spine and I feel like I could throw up.

"There's my movie star!" Anne says as she approaches me and gives me a hug, planting several kisses on my cheeks and I laugh, the first time I've laughed properly in a few days and it feels good.

"You could say that." I say and she winks at me, pulling me onto the lounge as we sit together and catch up, it feels good being able to talk to her. We spend the rest of the night celebrating Harry, listening to his album and laughing although I find myself feeling completely out of p;ace around him. All throughout the night he and I haven't spoken more than two words to each other at a time and I can feel the tension between the two of us.

"So, I've been watching your interviews, like I do with Haz, but you and that James guy you're co-staring with look very close." Anne says as we walk from the kitchen to the loungeroom, taking a seat on the couch. I force a smile, swallowing the lump in my throat that rises whenever someone brings him or the contract up.

"Um, yeah, he's... lovely." I lie to her, I've never lied to Anne, and it burns to have to start now. She's a second mother, she's the mother I never got. But I guess I'll be lying to everyone about James and I from here on out, so I'd better get used to it.

"Doesn't sound convincing... everything okay?" Anne asks as she looks at me worryingly and in an instant, I remember what James said to me before we left for the tour.

'The greatest role you'll ever play as an actor is being completely happy.'

"He's super lovely! He's been great during the tour, 'Pond' was great, but it was only an American tour so he's showing me the ropes of being on the world tour, it gets heaps tiring but having him there... I guess I can lean on him, y'know?" I say cheerily and I know Anne see's right through me in an instant, but before she can open her mouth to say anything, I hear Harry from behind me.

"He sounds great, I'm happy for you." He says sarcastically as he leans against inside the arch of the hallway, his hands in his pockets and his jaw clenched. I stand to my feet shaking and the three days' worth of sadness turns to anger very quickly.

"Oh, don't be! You've got your own new girl, she's heaps pretty! I saw the photos, Harry. You both look great! A power couple one would say." I fire back at him and Anne stands to her feet, walking past him.

"Well, I think it's time I call it a night!" She says as she powers walks, disappearing around the corner.

"I think we have some explaining to do." He says sarcastically and the frustration builds within me.

"Oh really?"

"Yep." He spits back at me. I've never seen him like this before.

"You're such a jerk, how could you do this?" I say coldly.

"How could I do this? How could you do this, Tilly!" He whispers shouts at me, and I shake my head, crossing my arms at him.

"What are you talking about, Harry?" I say back.