Chapter 3: The Sorting

Start from the beginning

The boys could not help but take notice of the awe written all over Jasmine's face. Noticing her looks, James and Sirius flanked her, with one on each side of her. James spoke up first. "Yes, Jazzy. I know it is a marvelous castle but wait until you see how much more it has to offer."

Jasmine didn't get the chance to respond before Sirius spoke up, "Yes, that's right. There is more to this castle than you might think Jaz. There's so much potential. Pranking potential that is."

Jasmine started giggling at the boys' antics. "You two are ridiculous. I am excited to explore this castle though." The boys smirked at her in response and led her into the Great Hall.

In the Great Hall, the first thing that Jasmine noticed was all the professors at the front sitting at a table. The one in the middle, who James told her was Dumbledore, looked straight at her. Jasmine swears she saw a twinkle in his eyes. She brushed it off as her imagination though. The next professor that she spotted was Professor McGonagall, or who she thought was McGonagall. The woman looked exactly as Lily had described McGonagall to her in her letters. She was standing next to Dumbledore discussing something. Luckily, Sirius happened to notice that she was looking at the woman and confirmed her original thoughts. Then she excused herself from the table so that she could catch McGonagall before she headed to the room where the first years would be waiting.

It seemed that the boys hadn't heard Jaz excuse herself though. They noticed that she wasn't with them anymore when James turned to tell her about their plan for their first prank. They looked around and found her talking with McGonagall. Remus told them that she was probably discussing when she would be sorted with the Transfiguration professor among other things since she is a new student.

James and Sirius looked at each other and started laughing. "Wow. We were having such a good time with her on the train, we completely forgot to ask her what house she wanted to be in," Sirius laughed.

"Yeah, but I have a feeling she will end up in Gryffindor. I can just feel it," James comments.

"Oh, you mean like you can just feel that Lily is totally in love with you?" Sirius teases James.

James starts to protest that Lily does love him, but she doesn't know it yet. His protests are interrupted when Jasmine comes back to the table and sits between the two of them and across from Remus and Peter who were sitting on the other side of the table. "Hey guys what are we talking about?"

"Oh, nothing really," Sirius manages to chuckle out. "Just James and his so-called feeling for things." She gave him a confused look which only managed to make him laugh more. Jasmine looked over at James for an explanation, but it didn't look like he had any to give so she turned to Remus. He explained what had transpired which caused Jasmine to let out a few chuckles.

McGonagall had told Jasmine that she would be sorted after all the first years got sorted. In the meantime, McGonagall had told her it was fine to sit at the Gryffindor table. She warned her not to get into too much trouble. Evidently, she had noticed that she has been sitting at the table with James and Sirius. Jasmine had just nodded and walked back to the where the boys were now sitting at the Gryffindor table.

Jasmine didn't have the time to tell the boys any what she had discussed with McGonagall, though. By the time Sirius had stopped laughing and Remus had explained what had happened while she was gone, the doors to the Great Hall opened once again. All conversations immediately stopped as soon as McGonagall walked in with a stool and old looking hat, which Jasmine figured was the Sorting Hat that Lily had told her about before. Behind McGonagall, all the little first years filed in. They looked so innocent.

Before the actual sorting started, the Sorting Hat began to sing its song that Jasmine would later learn happened every year. The song was usually about the four houses, the hat itself, and/or about the original founders. The boys had yet to hear the same song twice in their five years at Hogwarts, but James did mention that sometimes the hat would recycle lyrics. He wasn't sure why, no one actually knew why. By now it was just an accepted fact about the Sorting Hat.