Chapter 14

Alex's POV

As if on cue, my cell phone started ringing. Both Derek and I turned our heads to where I left it, on the kitchen counter. I automatically stood up and grabbed it. Seeing that the caller ID was Dave made my heart skip a beat. Derek seemed to sense that, because he stood up. I shook my head, hoping he would realize that this wasn't a big deal, took a deep breath, and answered the phone.

"Hello?" I said cautiously.

"Get your ass home right now!" I flinched as Dave shouted through the phone. Before I could ask what I did, he screamed, "Where the hell did you get all this cash?"

"Fuck," I mouthed silently. Ever since I moved in with them, I'd keep half of whatever lunch money I got from Maribeth hidden in a shoe box underneath my clothes in my bottom drawer.

"Were you going through my stuff?" I accused him.

"Are you fucking serious? Drop the damn attitude, your ass better be home within the hour." Dave hung up on me, and I could feel my throat tighten as angry tears forced their way up. Could this night get any worse? There's no doubt in my mind that he's going to pocket the money and keep it for himself. There goes my emergency fund. I still have some money in my go-bag outside, but not enough if I get kicked out.

"Alex?" All of the anger and frustration and guilt and sadness that I felt throughout the day was pushing its way up and settling in my throat and head. Derek was now directly in front of me, a few feet away, looking like he always does when I'm upset. This time, I didn't push him away. I sniffed, tears blurring my vision. "Sweetheart, what's wrong?" I closed the space between us and wrapped my arms around him, squeezing tight as I began to cry. Derek wasted no time. He instantly wrapped one arm around me and the other across my shoulders, his hand holding my head securely against his chest. I grabbed fistfulls of his shirt, pulling him closer as he held me tightly, tight enough that I felt secure against him, but not so tight that it was uncomfortable. He kissed the top of my head. I wondered when the last time that someone did that to me was. I couldn't remember.

As I cried into Derek's chest, the weight on my shoulders slowly started to lift. Don't get me wrong, it still hurt like hell, but having a good cry always helps fix a broken spirit, in my experience. So, we stood there, him holding me tightly until my tears had stopped and my breathing had slowed.

"Wanna tell me what just happened there?" Derek asked. He sounded tired, and I immediately felt guilty. Did I overstep? I know I'm too much for myself to handle sometimes, but I didn't realize how much I could be affecting Derek. It took everything in me to pull away from the bear hug I was engulfed in, and once his arms were no longer wrapped around me, I instantly regretted my decision. I knew I had to get home as soon as possible. The sooner I got back, the easier it would be.

"Can you, um," I started to ask, wiping the lingering tears from my cheeks. Everything inside myself was begging me to shut up. Nevertheless, I still asked, "Can you take me home?"

"Are you sure that's what you want?" Derek stared me down. The worry was evident on his face.

"I have to," I shrugged, wiping my face again.

"Okay." He grabbed my bag for me in one hand and his jacket in another. "Let's get you back.