The Demon General Takes Care of the Hero

Emi was lying on her bed and watching TV, but she could barely pay attention to the programme. She had a terrible headache, and couldn't do anything but wait for the medicine to act. Suddenly, she heard knocking on the door.

'Ah... a minute,' she said as loud as she could, and got up. When she saw Ashiya's face through the peephole, she almost forgot the headache. 'WHAT THE... What are you doing here??' She flung the door open.

'I heard you fell sick as well,' he said. 'And since this is not the season when most people fall sick, there is a high probability you caught it from me. I am also indebted to you because of helping me when I had fever and collapsed. As I can't stand being indebted to the Hero, I decided to come here and help you where I can and put my pride in my pocket. I am even willing to help you take a refreshing bath.'

'Woah, no way, pervert!' she recoiled with her hands in front of her. 'Look, I was wiser than you and went to the doctor's. I got meds and I will definitely be fine tomorrow, so I don't need your help. I didn't even help you to make you indebted. Go home, the 'castle' is going to collapse without you, if you left Urushihara there.'

'I asked Kamazuki to help, so there will not be any problems. Let me in. I am sure this apartment needs serious cleaning. I will make you lunch and dinner, and you can rest.'

'No way, just leave, Ashiya! What the hell is this 'indebted' mania of yours? You're a demon, you don't even need to be thankful to the Hero!'

'Debt is a serious concept among demons as well. Let me in, Yusa.'

'Argh, okay, then, but you'll do what I say.'

'Fine by me.'

'And go home in the evening! Did you want to move here or something? What's that huge backpack?'

'I prepared for staying here for at least three days if needed.'

'It's not needed. Bring me a glass of water and clean what you find,' Emi instructed while getting back to her bed. 'My headache came back... oh, and you cannot touch my boxes in the bathroom, nor my clothes. Understood?'

'Understood, Hero.'

'Fine. And if you attempt to poison me...'

'I am not that pitiful to use poison, Yusa. You really underrate demons. But as I said, debt is a serious concept, even if I am indebted to the Hero herself.'

After her headache was gone, Emi was definitely much better than Ashiya had been, but still felt weak, so the day passed with her watching TV and Ashiya doing the chores around the house and making food. She was suspicious of course, but he had no intention of harming her. In fact, they barely talked, and in the afternoon it was almost like they didn't even know about the other's presence. After a warm bath he had prepared, Emi fell asleep around four o'clock and woke up only at six the next day.

Nice... I feel much better, she thought while stretching in her bed. I think I'll have this day off too, but maybe I'll be strong enough to go to work tomorrow.

When she got up and switched her bedside lamp on, she almost screamed. She saw Ashiya lying on the couch with a pillow under his head and covered by a blanket.

'ASHIYA!'

'Yes, my lo... oh, it's you, Hero,' he got up startled.

'What the hell are you doing here?!' She was furious.

'Well, as you had fallen asleep, I had to decide on my own whether to stay or go. I am sure you need at least one more day to rest. Since you already woke me up,' he got up, 'I'll go prepare breakfast and then continue cleaning.'