𝟏. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

Start bij het begin

One letter that was sat at the bottom of a filing cabinet in the family's study. Elle was supposed to start Hogwarts in 1989 and considering she'd missed the first two years her parents branded themselves lucky and believed they'd gotten away with achieving a normal life.

But they'd achieved this life at the expense of their daughters happiness... and they knew this. Elle had no friends, how could she? The only times she left the house was once a day to walk Sunny (the family Labrador) the walk was mainly isolated apart from old couples and the occasional squirrel.

Elle's isolation had lead to her lashing out at her parents a lot. Samson and Heather has always managed to cover up the signs of Elle's magic abilities (such as when she broke a window without touching it and they blamed it on the wind... yes the wind) however when she got really angry it was harder to cover up the flickering of lights and the whooshing of the curtains, the shaking of the ornaments on the mantle piece and the cracks in the mirrors.

But they'd managed, Elle didn't suspect a thing... and if she did she definitely didn't suspect a thing to do without a whole other world where magic existed.

Elle would often turn her anger and depression into humour, she'd laugh about it, make jokes about herself or play stupid pranks on her parents.

They put up with this knowing that it made her happy and that was something they could never give her before.

Her pranks started simple, such as cling film on the door or salt in the sugar bowl.

Despite this, over the years she became more and more experienced in the art of practical jokes until her parents would become sick of her messing around.

She didn't care, she resented her parents most of the time which is a typical thing for a teenager to do but Elle had more reason to.

Her parents had ripped away any hope of a normal childhood when in reality normal had been the one goal they sought to achieve.

That left Elle feeling sad and alone staring out at the dark blue, velvet sky wishing she were anywhere but here.

Hopefully now you understand why.

✰✰✰

The night wore on and eventually Elle fell asleep with her head slumped at a crooked angle against the headboard, she'd regret that in the morning.

She dreamt a strange dream that she was lashing out again but this time she was watching herself from a distance, hearing the words she was yelling at her parents and seeing the whirl of unusual things happening around her.

The swaying curtains, the flickering lights, the shaking objects on the mantle piece and the cracks slowly forming along the circumference of the mirror.

Elle woke in a cold sweat with an aching pain in her neck (told you she'd regret that in the morning) her dream stayed with her like a scar, usually her dreams would fade rapidly upon waking, this time however it clung to her as though it was a bad memory.

Elle knew that it was just a dream and nothing more but she couldn't help but feel weird as she walked down the stairs into the kitchen.

Pouring some Cheerios into a bowl, Elle looked out the window hopefully as though expecting an asteroid to hit earth at any moment.

She topped the Cheerios with milk and slumped into a leather dining room chair spooning the cereal into her mouth carelessly.

Her 'summer holiday' would be over in two days and she was contemplating whether to do something on her last days of freedom.