It was all too much, too overwhelming. She didn't want to think about anything. Didn't want to process what had just happened. She just wanted to be alone and marinate in solace for a moment. And so, she went to the one place where she knew nobody would come looking for her.

She now sat alone a top of a slab carved out of white marble. It was dark in the room, certainly nobody would come down here, not a single noise could be heard echoing the small chamber. The Dragonbone Catacombs were strangely welcoming on this day. Still dark as night, still hosting the skeletal remains of the hunted dragons of the past, and the bodies of the Fire Lords of the past. The chambers dimly lit by rows of warm torches.

Her mind remained blank, numbed to everything as she hugged her knees closer to her body, head buried in between them, eyes shut exhaustedly. The place had been renovated since the bombing incident all those years ago. The scent of myrrh and incense still lingered in the air. Except that this time the room felt cold, empty and austere without the dozens of candles that had adorned it the last time she had been here.

She found herself so deep into her own thought she didn't even hear the approaching footsteps echoing the stone corridor.

"There you are," a hand landed on her shoulder. She flinched, eyes snapping up. "I was worried," Zuko said looking concerned. "We've all been looking for you everywhere."

Of course he'd find her.

"I... I just need to be alone for a moment," she stammered lowering her gaze to the floor.

"Are you okay?" He asked kneeling down to meet her eye level.

She debated whether she should tell him the truth or not. Simply utter a dismissive stammered saying she wasn't and just get it over with.

"No," She admitted truthfully. "Are you?" She met his golden eyes the feeling of concern being mutual. He licked his lips and shook his head slightly. "Don't change the subject. I'm asking about you."

She swallowed the barbwire knot that had formed in her throat.

"I saw my life flash before my eyes," she admitted, still avoiding his perturbing gaze. "Last time we were here," she began lifting her gaze so that she could gaze around the dark catacombs. "I fucked up," she divulged vulgarly.

She waited for his brass judgement.

"It's not just you," she looked up to meet his expression with surprise, but instead found that he was looking away with the same shame she was.
"We should've at least discussed these things. I don't know what I was thinking."

That's the thing. He wasn't.

He was the type to do stupidly impulsive things when it came to these things; specially to love.

"I am so, so, so, sorry," She apologized from the bottom of her heart. "To you to me. I should've done things differently," her throat swelled with regret. She should've done things differently. They both should have.

"We still can."

"Still can what?" She looked at him confused.

"Do things differently."

She looked breathless as if she had been punched in the gut, which further fueled his confusion. "Let's do things differently then." She exhaled out slowly.

He didn't get a chance to react to her words being silenced by a greedy kiss. She had made up her mind that she would marry this man before death did them part. She had never kissed him like that, with such urgency, with her mouth opening against his and body pressing up against his. Her hands fumbled with his clothes, his warm ones with hers.