Chapter 9

I watched as Samson viciously threw my clothes into an old suitcase with reckless abandon. No matter how many times I told him to stop, he pressed on. 

"Samson, please. Stop this," I said. The air in the room felt thicker by the second. 

"You have to get out of here. Please, do it for me," he said. 

"I don't want to leave. I'm not." I crossed my arms over my chest to seem more intimidating. Samson nearly smirked as he handed me a fully-packed suitcase. "Where will I even go?"

"You told me you had family in California. Go there."

"You're not thinking this through. I can't just hop on a plane and go to California. I don't have plane tickets and my mom won't let me."

"Here's what you tell your mom. You feel suffocated and you need space away from here. If you don't, you might do something drastic. Now go," he shoved me into my hallway and closed the door behind me. 

I hit the door over and over but he was pressing his body weight against it. My shoulders slouched in defeat as I walked to my mom's room.

Gently, I tapped on her door. 

I heard a faint "come in", and I entered. She was laying in bed reading a book. Her eyes found mine with an accusing glare. 

"What is it, Kate?" she asked. 

"Mom, I need you to hear me out, okay? I'm so sick and tired of this place, I need to get out. Please let me stay with grandma and grampa. At least just for a little while."

She nearly laughed. "You have school tomorrow. Go get ready for bed."

"I'm not playing around, mom! If you don't let me, I'll do something..." I thought of the word Samson used. "...drastic."

Her eyes widened. "Drastic? What do you mean drastic? Is that a threat?"

"No mom it's not a threat, it's the truth. I feel suffocated here. Let me leave. I'm begging you."

"The answer's no and it's staying no. If you wanna do something drastic then try me."

My face burned red hot and I could feel the tears brewing in my tear ducts. "Mom..."

"No, Kate. Get out. Go to bed. You have school tomorrow."

I slammed her door and trudged back to my room. When I opened the door to my bedroom, Samson was sitting on my bed waiting for me.

"Well?"

"It's a no."

He was unphased. It's almost like he was expecting this news. 

"You didn't try hard enough, then."

"I did too! I told her I was gonna do something 'drastic'," I air quoted. "And she didn't even care. She told me to do something drastic."

"Then do something."

"Like what?"

"I don't know, cut your wrist. Strategically place a noose somewhere in your house. Freak her out. Do something. Don't just stand there. You have to at least try."

"Or what?"

"Or else you'll get killed."

I scoffed. "Have you ever seen a demon kill someone before? No. It's you that killed your mom, not the demons." I regretted the words as soon as they exited my mouth. Samson looked at his shoes, then looked up as if he was in pain.

"You know, maybe you should stay here. We'll just see what happens. Sound like a plan?"

I knew he wasn't being serious, but it still hurt. I guess I deserved it.

"Samson... I'm so sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I just mean I've never heard of a demon single handedly killing someone before. I don't know..."

He nodded and said, "Well you're wrong. Because They're already planning on what they're gonna do to you."

I looked at him in horror."You... can hear them? Planning?" I asked, my hands starting to shake.

He nodded sternly.

"Samson..." I started to say but then the tears took over. I didn't wanna keep crying in front of him. That's all I ever did was cry. I was so useless. He motioned me over to him and I fell into a hug. 

"You know, they tell me that you don't want to leave because you don't wanna be away from me." he said. My face flushed.

"Well, I just... I don't know. Sorry."

"For what?"

I didn't answer him. I felt like a huge burden.  Like he was obligated to help me. 

"We're gonna figure something out, okay?" he said. "They're not gonna kill you. I won't let them."