VIII. IN THE LITTLE NOOK OF THE JOKE SHOP

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I heard your mother was ill, that's why you weren't in classes on Friday," The Slytherin remembered, "How's she doing?"

"Uh, yeah," Remus swallowed the lump in his throat, hating the fact that he had to lie as to why he disappeared for a day or two once a month, especially to Holland, "She's-She's aright."

"If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here." Holland informed him, making the boy smile.

"I will," The boy nodded, grinning down at the short girl, "Thank you."

"Anytime," Holland nodded, softly, the two just smiling at each other for a moment, before Holland realised something, "Uh, where are your friends?"

"At Ceridwen's Cauldrons," Remus replied, "Considering both James and Sirius managed to blow both of theirs up in class the other day. Slughorn is making them buy new ones for him as a form of punishment."

"Ah, yes," Holland chuckled at the memory, "Severus was not happy about a chunk of cauldron landing in his potion."

"I can imagine." Remus laughed along with the girl.

"Why aren't you with them?" The dark-haired girl questioned, looking up at him, curious as to why he wasn't with his friends, considering the four of them always stuck together like glue, whenever possible, looking like lost puppies if they had so much as gone five minutes without one of them being there.

"Well I saw you and your friend come in here, so I told them to meet me here when they're done," He explained, "Sirius convinced himself that I'm buying him a birthday present. And, besides, we haven't really talked since he dragged me out of the library." He told her.

"Ah, yes," Holland nodded, remembering the events that had happened with her best friend's brother earlier that morning, "I told Black that we were just discussing school work."

"He threatened you, didn't he?" Remus asked, wincing, already knowing the answer.

"It's fine, I can handle Black," Holland waved off, "Managed Reggie, haven't I?" She smirked.

"Well I told him the same thing," He said, making ten girl nod, happy they had come up with the same lie. There were a few more moments of silence, before Remus spoke up again, "Are, um, are you going to the Halloween ball thing?" The boy asked, scratching the back of his head.

"Max and Bron are dragging Reg and I kicking and screaming," Holland nodded, making them both chuckle slightly, "Claiming I 'have' to go, considering this thing only happens once every twenty-five years."

"That's what James and Sirius said." Remus told her.

"So I guess that means you're going." The girl guessed.

"That would be correct." The boy nodded.

"At least I won't be the only one pretending that I'm having fun." Holland muttered, both of them chuckling.

Remus smiled slightly, "You know, we never did get to finish the game."

"No, we didn't," Holland said, softly, her eyes darting to the window at the front of the joke shop, where Remus' friends were messing around, pushing each other in front of the store, "And I guess we'll have to finish it another day," She told the boy, who followed her gaze, sighing as he was annoyed that they had to end their conversation so abruptly, "I guess I'll see you on our Prefect rounds then." She said, taking three more fireworks and starting to leave their little nook.

"What?" Remus asked, making her turn around.

"You weren't there when we were told, but we got assigned to do our rounds with each other for the term. That is, if you're alright with that." She said.

Remus shook his head, "It's perfect."

"Great." Holland smiled.

"See you around, Juliet."

"See you around, Romeo."

And with that, they walked away from each other. Two different people, from a different house, both alike in dignity. A Gryffindor and a Slytherin. Red and green. A lion and a serpent. Rivals.

***

"What do you think?" Bronwyn asked Regulus, staring down the stocked Honeydukes shelves.

"About what?" Regulus questioned, assessing the shelves as well.

"Should I get my sister some chocolate frogs if I know that the frogs if I know that it will just hop away from her and lose it anyway?" Bronwyn clarified.

"Well, judging on what I know about your sister, I'd advise against it." Regulus told her, grinning, whilst still searching the shelves.

"Fair point," Bronwyn nodded, glancing at him, "What are you looking for?" She questioned, picking up some sugar quills.

"Well, when Holland says that she wants her usual, she means some liquorice wands, and then a surprise." Regulus told the brunette, grabbing a box of 'Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans' for himself.

"What about some honey balls?" Bronwyn suggested, grabbing enough of the said sweets for both her and her sister.

"She's allergic to honey." The younger boy immediately answered, shaking his head, before finally settling on some pumpkin pasties for his best friend, the pair going up to the counter to pay.

"You definitely know her better than I do," Bronwyn mused, "How did I not know that."

"That's called being a best friend." Regulus replied, as the two exited the shop, "I'm sure there are things you know about Max that Holland I don't."

"Oh, yeah," Bronwyn nodded, looking away from the younger boy, "Definitely. Though, it is fun to watch you two act like an old married couple." She added.

"To be honest, I think our parents are hoping that'll happen one day." Regulus honestly told her.

"Not surprising," Bronwyn said, as they weaved through a group of Ravenclaw students, "Keep the family pure and all."

"Yeah." Regulus nodded.

As they approached Zonko's, Bronwyn immediately groaned, seeing James, Sirius and Peter enter the joke shop.

"Oh God." The girl muttered.

"What?" Regulus questioned, following her line of sight, "Oh God."

"Come on," Bronwyn said, grabbing the boy's arm, both of them picking up their pace as they briskly walked towards the sop, "I don't think that Holland's up for a round two."