But you're not allowed to focus on it any longer, because in your distraction at the beauty the stranger steals your suitcase.

You're yanked back onto the beaten path as soon as you feel the suitcase handle being torn out of your hand. The man starts running, and out of reflex you begin to chase him. You used to have to do this all the time: Donna as a kid was very good at pissing people off as a joke, and the two of you would have to run laughing away from the offendees.

Unfortunately, the man is an incredibly fast runner and you don't know the geography or terrain of this land. He speeds ahead of you, laughing like he hasn't a care in the world.

At the sound of delighted laughter you're suddenly transported back to your times five years ago with Bill. You've tried your best to blot out memories of him, determined it's for your own good to forget about him, but maybe just this once you can let yourself remember how he taught you to run in the best and quickest way...

Five years, nine months, one week and two days ago...

You and Bill are indulging in childlike activities, cartwheeling in the sand and chasing each other in a game of Tag.

After Bill tags you again, you fall down in the sand, exhausted. "How the Hell are you so bloody fast?" you pant, trying not to get bits of sand in your mouth.

Bill laughs and lies down beside you, taking your hand and rolling to look over you with that small smile he always had on. "Before my dad had high hopes of training me to be a doctor, he tried to get me interested in sports - mainly, football."

"And let me guess - this also didn't work as well as he planned," you chuckle, and he winds a stray lock of your mad hair around his fingers.
"No - it definitely didn't," he chuckles, "but I have learned the best technique for running really really fast. You wanna know?"

"Duh - anything to beat you, Show Off," you say, and Bill smiles again and lifts you up. You feel the soft sand fall off your back and your feet sink into the golden expanse.

You close your eyes and look up to the hot beating sun, and smile. You want to take a snapshot of this memory and keep it forever: not a photograph per se, but the feeling of the warm environment and the feeling of the warmest person beside you...

Okay - stretch your upper body so it's tall yet relaxed, got it...

Strike the ground each time in the middle of your foot, yep yep..

Swing your arms forwards and backwards at low 90° angles, and...

Ha ha! You're gaining on him!

You feel the wind rushing through your tangled hair as you sprint faster than you probably ever have before, and not soon after you reach the stranger and leap on him.

He falls over with a groan, and with your knee digging into the middle of his back and one of your hands pushing his head down to the ground, you use your other hand to wrench your suitcase from under him and hold it aloft.

"Ha!" you yell at him, forgetting he doesn't speak English, panting from the exertion but proud, "didn't think a girl could catch up with you, did ya! Well you thought wrong, matey!"

You suddenly hear a German expletive, and you look up to see that you caught him in the start of a market street. All around you are people staring at the two of you, this curly-haired woman shouting in a foreign language to a member of the town.
Your eyes flicker about. Well... shit.

Then, one by one, the overlookers start applauding, and you stare at them confused. Everyone's clapping for you kicking a guy's ass; this has never happened before.

Beginning to smile politely at everyone, you haul the guy up with your free hand and snarl at him in such a way that he lets you steer him toward the information point you went to before. As you walk into the place, the woman from before gapes wide-eyed at the man and asks you, "Wie hast du ihn erwischt?"

You blink. Why did she just ask you how you caught him? You ask why and she replies that, in actual fact, this man is a local thief that nobody has been able to catch and bring to justice - until you, a local hero.

You blink again. Are you now... a hero? You have to admit, it sounds quite cool - a hero in a town in Switzerland. What a title to get in your first day in this country ever.

After the police come to arrest the thief, you walk outside to literal cheers from the public. The gratitude from strangers is something you haven't realised you've wanted til now and you love it, waving like the Queen to them and smiling gratefully.

Anyway, enough of that: time to visit Rhine Falls, then afterwards start the trek to France. Maybe this time you'll get to enjoy a restaurant without a song you're begrudgingly swept up into starting up in the middle.