Donghua didn't know what to say. There were only a few sugar foxes left. He ate a piece once in a while to remember the taste of her cooking. Donghua just stared at her. Every time he tried to end his life, Jiu'er would appear in front of him. Today was no different. Even when she's gone, she still tries to save me.

"Jiu'er... I-" He paused feeling exhausted. He missed her so much.

"I want to follow you. I don't want to live without you anymore," He finally admitted to her. Jiu'er would always come up with things for him to do so he wouldn't go through with his plans. First, it was planting peach blossoms. Next, it was building a bamboo house in the middle of the peach blossom field. Then, it was making a garden exactly like the one she had in Qingqiu. She even said that it wasn't exactly like hers, so he had to redo it. He had lost count of the ridiculous things her illusion had asked him to do, but he did all of them anyway. This time, Jiu'er did not ask him to do anything.

"Donghua... Won't you stay?"

"I'm tired Jiu'er. Living without you is exhausting. Won't you just let me go?" He murmured. He must have gone crazy to talk to his hallucinations. He was trying to convince her to let him sleep... forever.

Jiu'er looked at him silently. "Donghua... Can't you stay until tomorrow?"

Donghua looked at Jiu'er's wide eyes and felt his heart skip a beat. She looked so real, yet whenever he reached out to touch her, she disappeared. He stopped trying because it meant he could see her longer.

"Alright. I'll stay until tomorrow."

"Promise?"

"Mm."

Jiu'er smiled at him and disappeared. He sighed heavily and went out to meditate. Donghua sat by the lake meditating until it was dark. He opened his eyes to see the peach blossoms floating down the sky. He reached out a hand to touch them as petals fell on his hair and shoulders.

"Jiu'er I miss you." He murmured as the scent of peach blossoms filled his senses. He slowly walked back to their room while clutching the bell charm tightly in his hand. He placed the bell charm inside the box for safe keeping and laid down on the bed. He took Jiu'er's pillow and embraced it tightly. Jiu'er I'll see you tomorrow. I'll follow you soon my love.

As the moon shone brightly, a figure in light pink robes watched Donghua from behind one of the trees. He was asleep by the time she went in the room. Her lips pulled up into a sweet smile as she saw him clutching her pillow tightly. She was so happy to see him, but her heart ached seeing his pitiful form under the sheets. 

Fengjiu slowly made her way to the bed and caressed Donghua's cheek. He unconsciously nuzzled her hand as he slept. She brushed away the stray hairs on his face and softly kissed his cheek.

"Donghua... I'm home."

*****

Donghua felt so warm that morning. He had such a good dream. Jiu'er had caressed his hair and kissed his cheek. It felt so real that he was still feeling the aftereffects. He raised a hand to touch the place she kissed him when his hand froze. He slowly opened his eyes to see Jiu'er nestled on the crook of his arm lying beside him. Donghua felt his heart pound as he felt unmistakable warmth on his chest. Fate was so cruel. I can't believe I'm having a dream as vivid as this.

Donghua pulled his arm away as he watched Jiu'er stretch sleepily and burrow deeper to his chest while wrinkling her nose like a fox. Donghua's eyebrows furrowed at the illusion beside him. This is the realest she's looked in all the times I've seen her illusion. I can even feel warmth. His brain must be going crazy to conjure up an image as real as this.