Episode 9: The Gate

Start from the beginning

"So if he likes it cold..." I mumble.

"We need to burn it out of him." Mom says with fear and frustration.

"We have to do it somewhere he doesn't know this time." Mike says.

"Yeah, somewhere far away." Dustin joins in.

...

Mom, Jonathan, and Nancy decide to go to Hopper's cabin where he's been hiding Eleven. Take Will there and burn that sonuvabitch out of him. They're using my truck to put the heaters in the back for more room.

I wanted to go, but Mom said she needed me to stay behind with the kids so that nothing happens to them.

Hopper is going to take Eleven to the gate so that she can close it and end this for good.

They all leave as Me, Steve, and the kids watch them go.

...

Dustin and Steve clear out our refrigerator to stuff the Demo-dog in. I watch with pain as they dump everything onto the floor.

Steve holds the dog in a blanket, it's face facing me. I pick up a screwdriver and poke it. Steve looks at me with a disgusted look on his face, causing me to chuckle.

Dustin finishes cleaning it out. "Alright. It should fit now." Dustin says

Steve looks at him. "Is this really necessary?"

"Yes, it is, okay? This is a ground-breaking scientific discovery. We can't just bury it like some common mammal, okay? It's not a dog." Dustin spits.

"Alright, alright, alright." Steve says as he walks to the fridge.

"I'm gonna bury you like some common mammal for dumping out the rest of our food that I'm going to have to pick up." I say to Dustin and he holds his hands up in surrender.

Steve attempts to put the dog into the fridge before saying, "Christ. Help me out."

"What am I supposed to do?" Dustin asks, panicking slightly.

"Get the door, man."

"Okay. Alright. I got the door." Dustin roughly closes the door just as Steve gets out of the way.

Steve pats Dustin's head with a 'phew!'

"Okay, no. You're cleaning that. I am most definitely not." I shake my head as I walk out of the kitchen, Steve following.

Mike paces as Max and Lucas clean the glass from the window.

"Mike, would you just stop already?" Lucas calls as he stops sweeping.

"You weren't in there, okay, Lucas?" Mike says as he faces him. "That lab is swarming with hundreds of those dogs."

"Demo-dogs!" Dustin corrects from the kitchen.

"The chief will take care of her." Lucas argues.

"Like she needs protection." Max mumbles with a shake of her head.

"Listen, dude, a coach calls a play in a game, bottom line, you execute it. Alright?" Steve joins.

"Okay, first of all, this isn't some stupid sports game. And second, we're not even in the game. We're on the bench." Mike retorts.

Steve stammers. "So my point is..." we look at him, waiting for him to continue. "Right, yeah, we're in the bench, so, uh, there's nothing we can do." Steve says as he throws the dish rag he was using to clean the slime off his arms over his shoulder.