Chapter Fifteen - 'The Christmas Tree'

Start from the beginning

"Ouch" he muttered rubbing one of his shoulders.

I produced a pair of scissors from the cupboard and slipped them along the sellotape that held the box together.

My Mum and Dad had taken my little sister out shopping and left me and Harry in-charge of the construction and decoration of the Christmas tree. I'd had years of observing my mother setting up the tree and I was ready to shine so I invited Harry around to help.

Harry pulled open the box and started lifting out the branches.

"Whoa" I laughed, "We have to set the stand up first".

"Oh" he smiled embarrassed.

I picked up the stand and slid all the legs onto it.

I gasped. I'd almost forgotten.

I jumped to my feet and ran to the same cupboard where I had gotten the scissors. Harry gave me a very confused look.

I grabbed the Christmas CDs and walked over to the TV set. I clicked the little '◘/♠' button and the tray popped out. I placed the first CD in the tray and pushed it back into the DVD player. Within seconds the room filled with famous festive songs. I grabbed the remote and turned up the volume to about '60'.

In minutes me and Harry were mumbling the words as we connected the branches to the base of the tree. Each layer of branches had a different colour tab on them so I did blue, yellow and pink and Harry did red, green and grey.

When the tree was built we both stood back in triumph although it was only the start.

"Right, lets get cracking on those lights" I said hands on my hips with my sleaves rolled up.

I grabbed the lights off the floor and was just about to put them on the tree when I noticed Harry. He had his arms sticking out like a scarecrow dangling a burble from each hand and had a load of tinsel wrapped around his head and shoulders. He stared into space like a statue. As soon as I  saw him burst into a fit of laughter.

"Harrry....whaaatt....areee..youuu.dddoiingg?" I spluttered out, still laughing.

He continued staring for a while then turned his face to look at me.

"I'm a Christmas tree" he giggled.

I fell to my knees laughing, my stomach ached and tears started falling from my eyes. Harry laughed too, supporting himself on the mantelpiece and nearly dropping the burbles.

I moved from my knees to sitting crosslegged. "Oh Harry, you're so funny" I said wiping the tears from my pink cheeks.

"I do try" he smiled lowering himself down to sit next to me. Harry being this close to me still gave me butterflies like it had that day behind the french building.

"We're never going to get this Christmas tree decorated are we!" I said looking up at him, I rested my head on his arm which was now around my shoulders.

"Probably not" he said before gently kissing my forehead.

I closed my eyes and smiled. "Oh well" I sighed as he rested his head of curls on my head.

*Flashback ends*

I was awoken by the sound of my Dad's voice from downstairs "You've got half an hour to get ready, Lucy".

Sh**!

I jumped off my bed and threw my towels in the washing basket then threw on my underwear and Christmas outfit. It was a black dress with no sleeves and a silver cross in the middle. I pulled on some skin coloured tights and a pair of black wedges. I dried my hair then curled it leaving me 10 minutes for my make-up. I was downstairs exactly half an hour later.