Chapter Six

Yua was shoved out the door so fast she could barely process her bare feet falling into at least two feet of snow, the icy temperature raking her body so quick while strong gusts of wind blew all around her. The snow came up to her knees and she fell backwards after losing her balance from it. She was taken so off guard she did not see Daichi step outside too before shutting the door to shield himself from her worrisome friends.

While Bankan and Bassui tried opening the door, they could not because Daichi held it shut with one of his hands while the other grabbed Yua's arm, pulling her up so that her face was mere inches away from his own.

"Do not challenge me. Princess or not I am far more powerful than you will ever know. Do not taunt me. Princess or not I will retort with better comebacks. And do not mock me because princess or not I will leave you feeling with a truth so harsh that it will make you question the one person who matters to you most, your father, the Emperor of Japan." Daichi paused briefly, taking in a deep gasp of air before shaking in rage once more and then he repeated, "I will make you question everything."

Yua was shivering so hard she could not help but to give in and so she nodded her head in acknowledgement. Daichi gave her one more stern look, bringing his face so close to hers his lips could graze hers, "You have one more chance. Do not test me."

And then he backed away and shoved the door open so fast that it made Bankan and Bassui, who were trying to open it from the other side, fall down onto the ground. They looked up at Daichi with a mixture of envy and fear, wondering how one man's arm could hold a door shut from two trying men. They had never observed anything of it before but had heard the stories of how strong, brave, and vicious the famous Daichi Tanaka was. People claimed he was half bear, half man because of how robust he was. They were beginning to believe the stories.

Daichi pulled Yua back inside and pushed her into a chair by the fireplace. He took a fur blanket and shoved it into her lap, not sparing her even a single glance as he did so. Then, he turned towards the fire, crossed his arms, and stared into the flames.

Bankan reached for his sword from behind Daichi's back but Daichi was quicker, "I would not think of doing that, if I were you." Bankan instantly let go.

Then Bankan turned to Bassui and Sara and whispered, "How did he know? Should we not do something? He disgraced our Princess and forced her into this weather."

"Shhh," Sara replied fast, "We do not know what happened behind the door so we should not assume. Besides, look at her now. He brought her by the fire with a blanket."

They all glanced at Yua who was staring in shock at Daichi who continued to stare into the fire. They agreed to let it go. After all, he did take care of her after bringing her inside.

And then Yua sneezed.

Sara ran to her side and asked, "Are you feeling unwell?"

Yua nodded, "It is nothing I promi-" she sneezed again.

There was no doubt in anyone's mind that Yua was coming down with a cold. Bassui glared at Daichi and whispered, "This is all his fault."

"No," Yua said aloud to Bassui, "It is my fault. I," she stopped speaking when Daichi looked at her in approval but also worry for her condition. He did not mean to hurt her, just scare her. Once again, Daichi thought to himself, he had let his rage overcome his logic.

And so, he made tea and poured Yua a cup of the mint tea. She took it graciously, enjoying the hot liquid on her throat that was becoming sorer by the minute. Sara brought her another blanket. And Bankan and Bassui when to the stables to fetch more wood for the fire.

Sara was not paying attention when Daichi took a seat next to Yua on the floor. He looked up at her since she was still sitting comfortably in the chair and he said, "My guilt is overwhelming me. I did not mean for you to catch a cold."

Yua laughed briefly, taking him off guard as she replied, "What do you expect when you throw a woman out the door in this weather?"

Daichi's eyes hardened and he got up but before walking away, his back turned to her, he said "I will make it up to you."

Yua was confused by his words but just like that, Daichi left the small building to go help Bankan and Bassui with the wood.