Chapter 1

Moriko

"Come on Momo!" My mom shouted thinking I was still upstairs.

"I have been waiting for you for approximately 27 minutes," I stated, with a monotone voice

"Stop speaking like that, people will think you are weird." My mom warned me.

"I can see you used the word weird as an adjective and in that case, it would be defined as something supernatural or unearthly. Will people think I am not a human?" I questioned her.

"Honey listen, you've been trained in a way that doesn't make you vulnerable and susceptible to the same things as normal humans, so just try to fit in, okay?" Sora placed her hands on my shoulders.

I nodded in response.

We then made our way to the car and drove to my new life as my mom would call it. She said I would make real friends, that wouldn't die doing dangerous things. How was I feeling about this situation? Nonchalant. I studied hard for years, the school shouldn't get in the way of my job.

Finally, we pulled up to a car park. The school was bright and had a glowy shine to it. My heart tightened. I shook away that feeling and said bye to mom. After all the school formalities I made my way to my assigned form room, they seemed to be prepared to see me as the teachers' lips curved into a wide smile.

"Guys! This is your new classmate. Moriko Saito, everyone say your names please." The male instructed.

"Why it's not like she'll remember them." A kid with brown neatly laid hair commented, causing laughs to stir up.

"Actually, my memory has proven to be of the highest standard, please say all your names and after I'll repeat the whole class," I said with confidence.

"What are you? A robot?" The same kid commented.

I paid no attention as the class started saying their names.

"Anna"

"Yumi"

"Tōru Oikawa" The brown hair kid stated his full name with a smug look on his face.

When the class had finished, I began recalling all of their names with ease. No pauses. Everyone was taken aback.

"Where do I sit?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"Next to Oikawa. "

With haste, I approached my desk and sat down.

"Anyone could do that, Momo," Oikawa whispered to me.

"I do not recall asking you to call me Momo, please refrain from such," I said to him.

"Whatever, Momo." He smirked.

"Also, I'll just make you aware that the fact you said your first and surname made it easier for me to remember you."

He shot a dirty look at me and placed his focus back on the work in front of him. The bell rang and my first class was Math.

"Hi, Moriko! I'm Yumiko but everyone calls me Yumi and this is Himari. " Yumi chirped.

"Yes. Hello."

"New kids usually sit with us, before they leave us to hang with the cool kids so you're welcome to sit with us at lunch." Yumi beamed, whilst Himari stayed silent.

"Why?"

"We are just really nice and approachable but also we aren't popular." She pouted.

"Popular? Also being used as an adjectiv-" I stopped myself, "Thank you for the offer, I'll take you up on it."

A quick hour passed by, I think that was the easiest math class I have ever attended. School might be even easier than I thought. As I headed towards my locker I bumped into someone. From assessing the weight and force I guessed it was a female. I didn't bother to turn around and proceeded to open my locker.

"You aren't going to say sorry." The blonde girl spat.

"No. Why would I? I was standing still. You barged me thus meaning you should apologize." I informed her.

"What? Do you know who you are talking to, New Girl."

"I am Moriko."

"Shut up! Now listen, I'm Azune Yamagato and if you don't watch out I'll make your school experience a living hell."

I paid no attention to her. I felt her presence so abruptly turned around and grabbed her hand before she could place it on my shoulders, " Please refrain from touching me."

I flicked her arm away and headed to the canteen. I did a quick visual scan of the room and found Himari and Yumi. I walked towards them. I made them aware of my little collision with Azune and they were shocked.

"No one ever talks back to her like that. You are cool." Himari said her first words to me.

"Why does she emit so much fear in people?" I was genuinely confused.

"Her dad is one of the board members for the school, the volleyball committee respects her a lot because she persuaded her dad to invest in it so no one messes with her. "

"Volleyball? Interesting."

"You don't know what Volleyball is?" Yumi gasped animatedly.

"Of course I do, I've just never played it. " I replied.

"Wow, you have your first Physical Education lesson tomorrow so if I was you, I'd practice," Yumi said to me.

"It's that serious?"

"Yes, Himari and I are on the girl's team here at  Aobajohsai High. We could go to the gym after school just to give you the basic rules and stuff."

I nodded.

The end of the day arrived. Yumi and Himari were still keen on practicing even though I wasn't really in the right attire. My skirt would definitely fly up, but oh well. All of a sudden I heard commotion, Yumi and Himari noticed the confusion on my face.

"It's just Oikawa and his volleyball entourage. " Himari clarified.

"Everyone is in love with him, " Yumi slurred as her eyes glistened just looking at him.

I studied him. He had very symmetrical features that would appease human eyes. His dark brown hair swept outwards and sat perfectly on his face; his eyes perfectly corresponded with his hair; his lips constantly had a glow to them which seemed natural; his skin slightly tanned.

Abruptly I snapped out of my little trance. Is this called attraction? I shook it off.

"Momo!" He towered over me, placing his hands on his knees and bending over slightly so he was at my eye level.

"Stop calling me Momo." I crossed my arms.

"Are you here to play volleyball? did you play at your old school?" He ignored my first statement.

"That is none of your concern." He had already began to get on my nerves.

"Ouch! The hostility." He clutched the left side of his shirt in a dramatic manner.

If this is how other humans are then I'd rather be at home.

-------

I'm gonna really try capture Tooru's sarcasm.

-michelle