THREE - yesterday

Start from the beginning

"Yes sir..."

Gianna huffed sarcastically. Hotch stiffened at this, but turned around to leave before he could debate Gianna any more. She turned around to look at Dave and Spencer, clearly agitated by Hotch's dickish behavior, but Dave's glance demanded her not to say a word. So, Gianna begrudgingly obeyed this, and turned around to follow her superior. 

Maybe she could have some fun with this.

•••

After the two agents hesitantly piled into the black SUV, Hotch started the engine and began to drive down the mountain. Gianna could tell that he had a lot of experience when it came to driving in rough conditions, because the way he maneuvered the car was precise and well-done. Gianna was known to be quite a dreadful driver, so when anyone even remotely good at driving drove around her, she found it to be impressive. But the way Hotch drove was more than just impressive. It was masterful.

"Are you from the north?"

Gianna finally spoke, leaning back in her car seat and not breaking her sight from the road.

"No."

That's all the mystery man spoke. This made Gianna incredibly frustrated, but she wasn't going to let him brush her off that easily.

"Where are you from?"

Hotch maintained silence and kept his eyes on the road.

"Manassas."

Gianna nodded with slight victory. 

"I've been there a few times."

Gianna crossed her legs.

"I'm from Hampton. You know, down by Virginia Beach and all that jazz."

Hotch, once again, didn't respond. He kept his hands firmly gripped to the wheel and his eyesight locked on the road.

"Do you just not talk?"

Gianna spoke with slight agitation. She was trying to warm up to her superior, but he wasn't even making an attempt. 

"I'm just focused on this case, as you should be."

This statement filled Gianna with boiling rage. But before she could explode, she remembered what Dave said. She had to be respectful.

"Listen. I am focused on this case, Agent Hotchner, or I wouldn't be here. I am trying to get to know you, because I am going to have to work side by side with you in the not-so-distant future. Does that make me a bad subordinate, or do you just want someone to be angry at?"

Gianna didn't look away from the road one. She knew she would blow up in rage if she even glimpsed at Hotch's face. But luckily, she didn't have to. He kept quiet for a few moments before letting out a large exhale.

"I grew up in Manassas, Virginia. I earned my degree to be a prosecutor at the George Washington University in Washington D.C., but then I transferred to Seattle to become an FBI field agent. From there, I joined the BAU."