Lesson 1 - How to Fail for the Seventh Time

Începe de la început

After a quick wink at me, Marc allows Kari to drag him off. They join the others in what they call dancing but is actually just a lot of jumping and awkward swaying from side-to-side. I can never really understand how they find such a thing enjoyable. The noise they keep trying to pass off as music is giving me such a headache.

Ding! There goes my alert tone. Finally, a reply! I open the message and read through the text from Aya. "Got the e-mail, Sia. But you might want to read it yourself." Huh? If Aya thinks I'll be able to wait until later to read that e-mail myself, she's seriously mistaken. I didn't have her check my e-mail every now and then for nothing. I have to know what they said.

The news of the e-mail's arrival further probes my impatience, so I don't bother composing a text message. Instead, I call Aya directly.

"Sia?" Aya answers with her ever-cheerful voice. "What's up, girl? Shouldn't you be partying at Marc's right now?"

"Yeah, I'm here. But, there's no way that I'm partying. Not when I know that the e-mail's there and you haven't told me what it says."

"You got my text, right? Trust me, girl. You'd want to read it yourself," says Aya.

"Aya, please! I won't last much longer if you don't tell me now," I insist. "What does it say?"

Beep! Beep! Beep! "Hello? Aya? Hello?" What a time to run out of load. Darn it. I place my useless phone back inside my pocket and slouch once more. My wristwatch now reads 8:30PM, but I told my Dad to pick me up at 9. While most people my age prefer to be out all night and even choose to wait until dawn to go home—if they choose to go home at all—I'd rather go home early. Only 30 more minutes to go and I'll be out of this place.

"Do you mind if I join you?" I look up and see the bright, friendly face of the person I had very much admired throughout the four years of high school. His name is Ian Ramos. Ian's not exactly what people would consider handsome, though he can be considered good-looking with that unfailing smile of his. Ian has never been seen without it and, true enough, there it is now. A smiling face suits him quite well.

"Oh, not at all. Go right ahead," I say, hoping my voice keeps free of any sign of unease. Indeed, even after four years, my heart still manages to skip a beat at the very sight of him. It's probably because of the memories of my old one-sided crush rather than any lingering feelings. There aren't any. I am sure of that. I think.

"It's great to see you again, Sia." Ian sits on the very seat Marc had taken earlier on. "Kamusta ka na?"

"Me? Well, I'm okay, but I'm definitely not as better off as you, that's for sure," I say. "You're off to medical school, right?"

"Right..."

"Congrats!" I say with a smile. "I look forward to seeing you as a doctor someday."

"Thank you. Sa totoo lang, I'm downright nervous about starting med school. Nakaka-pressure. It's not going to be easy at all."

"Well, nothing's ever easy. Pero, kayang-kaya mo 'yan! Ikaw pa?"

Ian laughs. "Sana nga. I'll certainly do my best." He pauses and looks at me with a curious expression. "Do you really think that I'll be a good doctor someday?"

"No, I don't think you will. I know you will." I surprise myself with my own audacity. Though I'm definitely not shy, I'm not that bold either. By the things I said, it will seem as if... as if I'm flirting with Ian Ramos.

For a minute, I panic at the wrong impression I might have given. But, not long after, I feel relieved. A look at his grateful smile tells me that he hasn't thought of it in that way at all. He simply thinks that it's an expression of trust from one friend to another, and even returns one of his own.