31: Opening Up A Little

After saying goodbye to Josie, stopping Psyche from stealing one of the plants, and getting lunch at a nearby restaurant, the group went back to flying again. Zarity and Jay went back in for another binge-watch-and-book session, while Abby, Lane, and Psyche started to brainstorm ways to somehow give Kora the Mortal Kiss. Seth, Karin, and Ferra had retreated to their rooms---Seth because he was feeling sick to his stomach from all the food he'd eaten, Karin because she needed to blow off steam, and Ferra because she wanted some time to herself.

That left Mira with pretty much nothing to do.

She'd debated helping them brainstorm, but she was still a little wary around Psyche. Her having a good reason for being the way she was didn't change the fact that she was scary.

Plus, she probably still disliked Mira, anyways.

Her mind was still going over the events of that morning. She'd told them about Ava. She'd told them she liked girls. She'd told them everything.

And they'd accepted her right away.

If anything, this proved that her gaydar was bloody awful. She should've been able to tell that at least Psyche was queer. Jay being straight was probably the biggest surprise, if she was gonna be honest.

"Knock-knock."

Mira looked up. "Who is it?"

"Abby. S'okay if I come in?"

"Oh. Yeah. Sure." She got up and opened the door, revealing the fiery-haired girl smiling at her.

"Hope I didn't interrupt anything," Abby said, wandering in and sitting down in one of the chairs. "Lane and Psyche decided on a dart gun. Kappa provided it, and they're celebrating with Pop-Tarts and soda."

"Good idea, but are you sure it'll work?" Mira asked. "I mean, with that, you've only got one shot."

"We only have one shot regardless of what we use. It should probably be something that's easier." She smirked. "I mean, I'm gonna have to give Lane a lecture on how to properly use a gun, but still."

"Two hands, not one hand, and don't put it back right after you've fired," Mira remembered. "Agents need to learn how to use one."

"I mean, I don't need to worry about the second rule, but you're right." Abby noticed the guitar kneeling against the wall. "You play?"

Mira nodded. "Since I was thirteen."

"I learned to play the lute when I was Agnes---that's my Tudor-period form," she added. "Kinda forgotten by now, though. Haven't had a lot of time to practice."

"Well, a guitar isn't that different."

Abby reached towards it, then paused. "Can I..."

"Knock yourself out," Mira told her.

She picked up the guitar and ran her fingers along the strings, then handed it back to Mira. "Don't wanna wreck it by accident," she said apologetically. "I do that a lot."

"It's fine."

Abby's eyes traveled down to the words painted on the back. "Ava gave it to you, huh?"

"...Yeah," Mira mumbled.

"Do you miss her?" she asked.

The question shouldn't have been that hard to answer, but it lodged in her brain almost immediately.

She was worried about her, obviously. She thought about her from time to time. And she did miss the times that they'd spent together, platonically or romantically.