The Troubles of Being a Teenage Spy

This is a story about Jonie, a spy in training and her arch enemy.  Which just so happens to be the guy she might possibly be in love with.  When Jonie is surrounded by a world of deceit, how is she to know what is real.... and what might simply be an act?

==============================================================================

I glanced around the class, bored out of my mind.  This guy needed some help on how to teach math properly.  While the teacher rambled on about some concept that neither he, nor the rest of the class seemed to get, I let my mind wander.  His face kept popping into my mind.  That day when I was so naive I fell for some guy who I knew would never feel the same way about me.  Jimmy.  Sure, he looked like a nice kid, but everyone has secrets.  Including me.  

The teacher, Mr. Tennison, called on me to do the problem on the board.  He was always trying to embarrass me, but it worked to no avail.  I walked up to the front of the class leisurely, glanced at the problem, and started writing.  I knew Mr. Tennison thought he had me.  This was a problem most college students took hours to do.  But I was different.  The problem was easy, it was just long.  It took me all of five minutes to complete.  Then I set the chalk down, gave the teacher a little smirk, and casually walked back to my seat.  Can I hear the word genius?  

While Mr. Tennison stared at the board in shock, the bell rang and everyone was scrambling around, frantic to escape before one of our math teacher’s temper tantrums.   “Miss Holiday?  May I see you for a minute?”

“Yes, sir?”  Then the whole act dropped and we got down to business.  

“Great job on the board, Jonie.  I really thought I had you there.”  

“C’mon, Mr. Tennison.  Next time give me a challenge.”

“Have you found him?”  He asked, effectively changing the vibe of the conversation.

“Of course.”

“Then what’s taking so long?  This is an important mission, Jonie.  You’re the honeypot.  You need to bring him in.”

“I- I know.  I just... I need some time.  Besides, he knows me, remember?”  

“And that’s to our advantage!  He only remembers you before you became an agent.  He’ll just think you still have a crush on him.”

“Well that’s even more embarrassing!  Look, sir..”

“None of that.”  Mr. Tennison Interrupted, “You have a job to do.  And a mission always comes before any personal dilemma you may have.”

“Right.  Sorry sir.  Won’t happen again.” I grumbled.  I may love being an agent, but it does have its drawbacks.

“He should be starting school tomorrow.  You’ll encounter him then.  We clear?”  Mr. Tennison asked, using his “big boss” voice.

“Yes sir!”  I mock saluted him.  Mr. Tennison chuckled as I marched out the room.

You’re probably confused as to why I’m acting like this around my teacher, and why he called me an agent.  Well it’s a relatively simply explanation.  I’m in the CIA.  We take enemies down, it’s part of the job description.  I’m not sure exactly when I decided the CIA was for me.  I mean, I always liked pretending I was a spy, so this was me living out my childhood dream.  I was a trainee, part of a special CIA group where more experienced agents, well, trained us.  I’m proud to say I know how to make a weapon out of almost anything.  So don’t make me mad when I’m around sticky notes.  (Haha, Get Smart)  And as for Mr. Tennison, well, he was my dad and coach.  Lucky me.  Being my handler, he really enjoyed bossing me around.

As I sauntered over to my next class, big arms snaked around my waist and lifted me off the ground.  “There’s my Jonie!  I haven’t seen you in a while, eh?”  My best friend, Logan, picked me up and twirled me around.  I chuckled when he put me down.

“I know!  We haven’t seen each other in, what, ten hours?”  I rolled my eyes at him as we walked to our only class together, P.E.

“Well I’m just worried about you.  He’s coming tomorrow.  Are you sure you’re ready?” Oh, and did I also mention he was my colleague?  We were both pretending to be seniors in high school, we actually were the right age, but our educations far surpassed those of a senior’s abilities.

“Awww, is wittle Woggie worried about me?” I teased, reaching out to ruffle his hair.  Logan and I had a good relationship.  We were best friends, killing people together really did wonders for bringing friendships together.  Not that I’m saying you should kill anyone in order to get a BFF.  

Logan grabbed my hand and pulled me up onto his shoulder and began carrying me to class.

“Logan!!! Let me go you giant turd!” I landed with an oompf on the floor, Logan towering over me.  “Hey!” I complained, rubbing my now sore butt.

“Hurtful!” He glared at me with mock anger.  “And I thought we were friends.”  Just as I was about to respond, the bell rang, meaning we were late for class.  We both hurried off to class and went our separate ways at the locker rooms.  I loved P.E. class.  Considering my whole job is about being stealthy and doing things that require tons of physical effort, it was a great way to get in extra practice.

“Oof!”  I fell back and rubbed my head, then was faced with Bailey.  Or as I liked to call her, Belly.  I mean, she was huge!

“Watch where you’re going little girl.”  Belly snickered, cracked her knuckles, then turned and walked out of the locker room into the gym.  I despised that girl.  Sometimes I wished this school had one of those regular mean girl bullies, who were all fake and twiggy.  Someone I could easily verbally put down.  But noooo.  I had to be stuck with the big, mean, burly, captain of the wrestling team.  And I’m talking about boys’ varsity.  It gave me shivers imagining her in one of those tight-fitting man suits.  

Shaking my head, I ran into the gym, only to yet again run right into someone.  “Ugh, I’ve really gotta look where I’m going.”  I muttered, rubbing my aching head.

“Jonie?”  Someone asked in shock.  My body froze where I was.  Me sprawled on the floor rubbing my forehead.  No.  No, he wasn’t supposed to be here till tomorrow!  I wasn’t ready for this yet!!!!  “Jonie, is that you?”  No.  I couldn’t.  Don’t look up Jonie, don’t look up!  I couldn’t help myself.  My gaze slowly looked up the length of his body.  He’d gotten taller, and my gaze locked with his.

I gave him a sheepish smile and said, “Hey Jimmy.”