Chapter 2: Rum? Seriously?

Three days had gone by since mom left some extra scars on my back. Although I tried to convince myself that I'd get used to the way she treated me one day, deep down, I knew that would never happen. My mother was insane and not even a couple of rum shots were able to calm her down... believe me, I tried. One of the things that bothered me the most was she never flogged Johannes. I have to admit that I was a mischievous little girl; however, that was no reason for her to destroy my skin like that. What my brother had that made her spare him? Was it his gender? Or because he behaved more? I couldn't stop thinking about the possible reasons for her not to beat him.

It was night already. My mom had gone out with Johannes, so she didn't beat me at any moment. Since I couldn't find anything interesting to steal that day, I went to Laurens' tiny house. His residence was the same place where he slept and left his excreta, which was absurd. I could not understand why my mom did that to him. While I played with a lock of my hair, he opened the door. I was relieved not to feel the usually terrible smell that came from his home.

"Hello, Eva!" he smiled. "To what do I owe this pleasure?

It appeared that the only person that my mom's slave didn't hate was me. When we were together, he seemed happy. I hated the idea that Laurens was unpaid and mistreated... Whoever invented slavery should burn in hell! I'd give my blessing to anyone who wanted to kill the monsters who created something so horrible.

I grinned softly, "I need to talk to someone. Can I come in?"

He gave me space to enter, "I just cleaned the place, so of course!"

I raised my brows. For a brief moment, I had thought Laurens wouldn't want to talk that moment since it was his dinner time. He had a very fancy meal: a piece of old bread and water... as if my parents couldn't provide anything better. My father was an officer of the Royal Netherlands Navy, for God's sake! He could definitely buy more food for his slave. The RNN had been paying him well since before we moved from Amsterdam.

Alright, I'll come in then...

Two small candles were on the floor, which made the atmosphere pleasant and cozy. I wish my friend had some chairs for me to sit on, but that was impossible because my mom would never give furniture for a slave. Not even a bed was provided for him.

I sat against the left wall, "Thank you for letting me in."

He sat in front of me, apparently being careful not to let his bare feet touch mine. My parents insisted that I used low heels, but I hated those shoes. I always walked barefoot. Although I wanted to wear my father's black boots, I couldn't since I was a girl and... well, they were too big for me.

"No problem," Laurens cocked his head. "What would you like to talk about?"

I sighed and chewed on my lip. I was about to suggest something hazardous. It would benefit both of us if it worked; however, we could end up injured if it didn't.

I took a deep breath, "I want to steal back my mother's pearl necklace. Since that wicked woman hit me instead of saying thank you, she doesn't deserve it."

Sometimes all I wanted was to turn mom into another person. There were even days when I woke up and thought she would hug me and apologize, but guess what? That never happened...

"Pardon me, but I'm confused," he knit his brows. "Why are you telling me that you'll rob something inside your own house?"

I don't understand! Can't he see the opportunity that is opening for us?

"Because it could be our chance to escape, Laurens! I saw how much that necklace cost and it's enough to get your manumission," my eyes widened as I grinned excitedly. "Plus, I can steal some more of her jewelry so that we can buy food while we don't have a place to stay."