CHAPTER 13

"Mrs. Bajaj, you called? Everything alright?" asked the doctor who was there within moments after she called for help. She informed the doctor that he had tried to wake up and even tried to say something, which she thought was her name. Doctor took a step forward to check on him. 

"Mrs. Bajaj, these are good signs. He is trying to wake up, but he is still under the effect of meds. If I am not wrong he should be up in the next few hours. One more thing, if he gets up again and responds differently please don't panic because it usually happens after such traumatic experiences. Patients often take some time to connect with reality after being under the effect of heavy dosage of drugs and please don't make him talk too much. Call any of us if you need anything." he explained and left.

In the next few hours Rishabh woke up several times and towards late in the afternoon, he heard someone talk. Though it was just faded voice, he knew it was hers. He tried calling her name but only ended up in a painful fit of coughing. This caught Prerna’s attention and quickly she reached him looking into his eyes. He looked at her with tired eyes hiding all the pain he was feeling but mumbled anyway “Mrs..."

"I am right here Rishabh, look at me"  her eyes drowned in tears as she lovingly caressed his hair.

He wanted to lift his hands to wipe her tears but the pain was overwhelming. All he could do was to slightly nod his head asking her not to cry. She quickly wiped her tears and gave him a weak smile. Not able to control herself she kissed him on his cheek. No matter how disoriented he was in that moment he did not fail to realise that this happened for the first time. She had never kissed him before.

Prerna carefully sat on his bed and lowered her head on his left shoulder, still holding his hand in hers. "Please don't do this ever again; aapko andaza bhi nahi hai humari kya halat ho gayi thi? I.. Kukki.. We can't live without you Rishabh" 

"I am really sorry Mrs. Bajaj that I am the cause of your tears.." he wanted to tell but nothing came out as words. He felt helpless deep inside. What he couldn't express in words was expressed by the warm tears rolling down the corner of his eyes.

Prerna noticed and cupping his face and said encouragingly "Hey, No... we are good, I have you back. We will be better soon... I promise" her moment was interrupted as she heard a knock on the door. She wiped his and hers face and said "Come in Please!" She took her place by his bedside, right next to him.

"Excuse me Mam, we need to change his dressing, Please allow us a moment" said a Nurse who entered with a tray. She opened up the front of his patient's robe and that's when Prerna was exposed to his injuries for the first time. His body was swollen and bruised, covered with stitches post surgery. She lost her balance for a moment and stabled herself by holding on to the bed. She knew he was in pain but sight of his injury just made her clutch her chest tightly in her hand. She felt immense pain and anger deep inside.

Rishabh saw her and assured by blinking his eyes, trying to tell her that everything will be alright. But then she saw him flinch his eyes because of the pain when Nurse removed his bandage. Prerna couldn't bear him going through this and immediately shouted at the nurse "Aram se kijiye na please.. Aap dekh sakte hain na unhe pain ho rha hai".

Nurse was taken aback by her reaction and so was Rishabh but the nurse didn't react much because she knew the patient's family often reacted so and responded calmly by saying "Sure Mam". 

Prerna moved closure to Rishabh and held his hand while the nurse carried on with her work. Prerna closed her eyes several times as nurse removed the bandages and cleaned his wounds. Rishabh saw it all but struggled to speak much due to his sore throat. He did try to tell Prerna with his eyes and weak squeeze to her hand that he was Okay and she shouldn't worry so much. Prerna gave a fake smile but she only knew how difficult it was for her to see him in that state.

Next couple of days he mostly spent his time sleeping and silently looking at Prerna  who was not ready to leave his side at any cost. He knew she was going through a lot, trying to manage so many things by herself, which made him feel helpless and guilty for being a burden on her. He made a few attempts to speak to her but she wouldn't let him till the doctors gave a go ahead.

A Week Later
It was over a week past the accident and Rishabh had been recovering well under doctor's care and Prerna's careful watch. She was always around him like a hawk, making sure everything was done as per her wish. Rishabh often smiled while she was busy instructing hospital staff and they obediently listened to her. Rishabh could sense change in Prerna in the past couple of days, she was less reluctant to be near him. 

“Mrs. Bajaj, why don’t you just sit down for sometime. Let the hospital staff also have some time to breathe” he said smiling in his low and sore voice. 

“Mr. Bajaj, please, you don’t tell me what to do and what not. I am not going to let anyone cause you even the littlest of pain” she huffed trying to mimic him like previous times as she came near him and sat next to him.

"Mrs. Bajaj they are doing there job. They are not here to hurt me. You need to relax" He tried to convince her to take it easy on her.

Holding his hand in hers she said “I cannot see you in pain aur agar ab koi bhi aapko chhota sa bhi nuksaan pahuchane ke baare mein sochega bhi to I dunno what I will do. I will never let any wrong happen to you ever again”. She moved ahead and placed her head on his arm while sitting on the stool next to his bed. “You have no idea Mr. Bajaj, main kitna dar gai thi''

He somehow lifted his right arm, still jammed because of the wound and placed it on top of her head and caressed her hair “its okay Mrs. Bajaj. I know it was bad. But you need to forget. Okay?”

Nurse was changing his drip when the Inspector with Mr. Mehra and one of the doctors came in to take Rishabh’s statement. At first Prerna was reluctant in letting the police take Rishabh’s statement because she thought it would only harm him due to unpleasant memories of the incident, after all who would ever want to remember such a life threatening harrowing incident, especially him in this weak vulnerable state, that would harm him even further. But Rishabh assured that he was well enough to give his statement to the police.  He narrated the whole incident and also informed them how he also had hired a private investigator to look into the matter. After all the formalities Inspector and doctor left but Mr. Mehra stayed back in the room, looking a bit awkward and troubled. 

Rishabh had known him for long to read him and asked "What is it Mehra??"

“Sir, Mam.. I am really sorry but there is a very important meeting in the office today and either of you needs to be present. I wish there was another choice” said Mehra, looking at the two of them feeling extremely guilty and awkward. He knew both the husband and wife needed some time together especially after recalling the worst nightmare of both their lives but his hands were tied. "I am really sorry.. I know it's bad timing but.."

“Its okay Mehra, you don’t have to kill yourself for this. Mrs. Bajaj please go and attend the meeting"

Prerna looked at him with questioning eyes. "No Mr. Bajaj, I am not leaving this room at any cost. I can't leaving you alone.."

I am good here, and Kukki, Masi and Tanvi anyway will be here anytime now. You must go and sort whatever the matter is” Rishabh looked at her waiting for her to agree.

“But” she tried to reason out of it but Rishabh interrupted her “No buts and Ifs.. We have so many people working on these projects, their bread and butter... they shouldn't suffer for us. so please go. I am doing much better. Trust me..”

She reluctantly agreed to leave once Masi reached with Kukki and Tanvi. As soon as they came she picked up her bag and looked at her husband.. He gave her a smile and said what he always did “Go seal the deal”. His words brought a wide smile on her face.

"I'll see you soon" said Prerna.

"I'd be here.." said Rishabh as she walked out of the room with Mr. Mehra.