prologue

being a kid is so much fun.

no big problems, nothing much to worry about, everything is a game. but the best part of being a kid is that you still get to enjoy the smallest things. you're not yet filled with greed. even a piece of candy given by a friend can make you chirpy the whole day.

ignorance is really bliss, just like what they said.

"ah, injun, hurry up!" donghyuck with his tiny, high pitched voice stopped on his tracks to look back at his friend who was just walking like he's in the moon while all of them are rushing to chenle's house.

the twelve years old chinese slumped his shoulders and tried to catch up with his friends. they just finished the primary school graduation and they all planned (excluding him since he wanted to go home as soon as possible) to go to chenle's house, which is just a block away from their school.

they were all wearing their best fits for their graduation yet there they are, running on the street.

when they arrived at the zhong's residence, a guard opened the door for the kids so they immediately headed to the backyard where a large tree was rooted at. there was also a swing hung there and jaemin, renjun's closest friend among their circle, hopped into it.

the six kids gathered around jaemin and formed a circle and sat on the ground, not minding the dirt that will get into their slacks. well, except for renjun again, since he put a handkerchief at the ground first before sitting. he has a place to go after that, so he needed to stay clean and presentable.

"before i call someone to dig, take out your items first!" chenle, the second youngest lead the mini meeting between the sixth graders.

which they all did, they all took out something from their pockets or what they were already holding while on the way. again, except renjun. he was clueless while staring at them. what item?

the first one to talk about their item was donghyuck. he was renjun's seatmate and they mostly bicker a lot but they're one of the closest among them. "this is my favorite toy, but  okay! i'll give this," the kid was of mixed hesitation and excitement as he placed his crayon shin chan doll on the ground.

"i'll go next, then," the oldest of them and the only canadian, mark, said. "this is actually from my dad and he sent this through a parcel last year. it's valuable so make sure this don't get destroyed, okay?" he reminded chenle before putting his black snapback on top of donghyuck's doll.

"it'll be on a sturdy box, so don't worry, hyung," chenle smiled at him. "i'll put mine now. i don't remember where and when i got this but it looks valuable, so i guess it's fine," he shrugged and threw a gold plated wrist watch next to the doll and cap.

everyone gawked at the shiny thing, especially their youngest, jisung. "is that real gold?!" he chirped.

"don't know, don't care," chenle simply replied. "go put yours, jisung!"

"uhm, this is just a simple pen. but my brother gave this to me before, so yeah," he shyly said before handing his black inked pen that will take two letters to write before it runs out of ink.

jaemin took his turn and put his bunny keychain beside the other items and smiled widely, feeling proud. "a grandma gave that to me when i helped her cross the streets! it's so cute!" he cutely giggled.

expected from the sweeter than cotton candy jaemin. the next one to speak was jeno.

lee jeno.

he and renjun share the same class, share the same circle of friends, but he doesn't know why they're not close. renjun is close, extremely close, to everyone on their group. jeno's close with jaemin, renjun is close with jaemin too, so why do they never had the chance to talk? well, they talk but only when their friends are present and if it's important.