she cuts me off abruptly "i saw you talking to malfoy on the train"

i raise my eyebrows, not this again, "he just said hi, that's all"

"he looks a lot different than last year" she smirks a little as i nod in agreement. he really has grown into himself. he's much taller now, and his platinum blonde hair parts down the middle, framing his now thinned out face. "i bet you he's got a girl by christmas break" pansy plops down onto her bed, twirling her wand between her fingers.

"he's too big a twat for any girl to stay with him for long" i smirk. pansy laughs and i laugh along too. maybe this year won't be as bad as i thought.

__________________________

i'm sitting by the fire in the common room, chatting with blaise and pansy about their breaks. it's the same shallow stories i hear every year. glamorous vacations or stays in the manor with the family. blah blah blah. although i'm pure-blood like a lot of the other slytherins, my family isn't near as wealthy. i always get a little jealous as they brag about their homes, or where they've stayed, but i hide my envy pretty well in order to fit in.

"well i'm off then" blaise yawns. i had completely zoned out, not hearing the end of his trip across the globe story.

"i'm gonna knock out too" pansy stands and looks back at me, as blaise continues to walk away towards the boys dormitories, "you coming?" she asks.

"i'm gonna read a little, write something to my mum too" she smiles and nods, turning away and walking upstairs to the dorms. i sigh and look down at the table, grabbing out a paper and quil to write down how the first day was, knowing i would probably receive a letter from mum tomorrow asking. after i finish writing, i seal my note and tuck it into my book so i can remember to send my owl out with it tomorrow. for now, i curl up on the couch and begin reading. after a few minutes, i can hear footsteps behind me. afraid that it could be someone patrolling, since it's nearing curfew, i stand and spin around, pointing my wand toward the noise.

"oi!" a voice whispers, "no need for that, it's just me" the figure steps forward into the light of the fire, and i lower my arm as i recognize it as draco. "what're you doing up?"

"i could say the same to you" i turn my back to him as i sit back down on the couch.

"are you going to be like this the whole year" he sighs, walking around to sit next to me. uncomfortable with the contact, i shuffle closer to the arm of the couch to keep my distance. i stay silent, reopening my book and ignoring draco. "how was your summer?" he questions me further. i can feel his eyes on me as he speaks.

"wouldn't you like to know" i scowl into the pages of my book, trying not to give him the satisfaction of my attention.

"yes, yes i would" he says, matter of factly

"then why didn't you write?" i shut my book loudly in frustration, now turning to face him. looking up into his eyes i almost think i see guilt, but it quickly flashes away when he opens his mouth.

"i got busy" he pushes his hair back, now avoiding my gaze.

"lame excuse malfoy" i laugh. he looks back at me and rolls his eyes. i consider him for a moment, seeing him twiddling his thumbs anxiously. i had become friends with draco last year, after hating him for all of my first and most of my second year. i saw a different side of him when we got stuck in detention together for the last two months of school. he had a side with actual emotions and feelings. i know he has a tough home life, so i try and cut him some slack for not writing over the summer, although i was hurt by it. i shuffle back closer to him and he smirks, "you'll have to do better then that"

"sorry i didn't write, y/n" he stretches his arms across the back of the couch, causing me to shiver a little as the warmth radiates from his arm behind me.

"you'll have to make it up to me somehow" i stand up, grabbing my things.

"leaving already?" he pouts his lip, exaggerating his frown.

"we have classes tomorrow, it's almost curfew, you should get some sleep too" i say firmly, slinging my bag over my shoulder. he scoffs, but stands up as well. we stand awkwardly for a moment, before saying a quick goodbye and heading our separate ways. i change into pajamas quietly and slip into bed, a smile on my face as i think of reconciling with draco.

__________________________

so that's chapter one! lmk any suggestions or thoughts in the comments. i'm new to wattpad so i hope this is decent lol. i'll try and update as frequently as i can :)

edit: hi!!! if ur from tik tok thank u sm for checking out my story :) i post 1-2 chapters daily and i greatly appreciate u checking out my page! hope u enjoyed/enjoy the rest of the story <3

edit: HELLO!! this story is officially COMPLETED and there WILL be a sequel (working on it right now)