Favor, Affection, Malice or Ill-Will

Start from the beginning

......................................

"Hey, those crates of guns we found in the back of Smoke Bliss, they came back seized from the ATF in multiple states" Kenny said to Voight. "They were stolen from a melt-down truck on their way to be destroyed in Indiana" Kim added. "So this guy, Kade, ripped off a load of seized guns from the ATF? And then he got himself a fake Firearms License and started selling them" Voight asked. "I know, Sarge, something doesn't add up. I think you should go talk to him" I say.

Turns out, Kade was undercover with ATF, so he wasn't our guy. "All right, the ATF supplied us with all their UC reports, including listings of all the weapons and individuals that they sold to, including photos and video surveillance of every purchase. Now, this is Maxwell Clay, AKA Gold Fish. This guy has priors for gun and narcotics possession, and three months ago, he bought a batch of over 20 guns from Agent Tucker, including the .45 that was used to kill Rebecca Clark" Jay said. "Is this guy preparing for war" Kenny asked. "Well, he's his own mini-straw buyer, so he buys the guns from Tucker and sells them out of his bar" Erin said. "Gold Fish, that's definitely the worst street name I've ever heard" Kevin said. "I knew a guy named Poodlehead" Kenny said. "Poodlehead, that's definitely the worst street name I've ever heard" Kevin said. "Okay, Gold Fish runs a dive in Kenwood" Kim said. "All right, let's go snatch his ass up" Voight said.

At the bar, we found out that Clay sold the .45 to his cousin, Big O. However, Big O was killed a while back, and the guy who killed him, a Latin Player, picked the gun off of his body. It hasn't been seen since. Now, we were going to put makeup on Omar Fry to make him look like he was dead so that we could arrest Donald Clark for hiring a hitman. We didn't want to have to involve Clark at the moment, but because of State's Attorney Jefferies, we had to.

"So the .45 we picked off Gold Fish's cousin, Big O, he says it was gang related, apparently some Latin Player. So we had CPIC and Gang Investigations pull the cards of all known gang members in the Bronzeville area. It's a dead end on Big O. They couldn't find any player who was a documented enemy of his" I say. "But they did tell us that the 54th Street Gangsters and the Latin Players have been at each other's throats lately. So we took a closer look and found something interesting. Jeremy Reynolds. 26, multiple gang cards, arrested a dozen times. He was a hardcore 54th Street G" Kenny said. 

"Was" Voight asked. "Yeah, until about a year ago. Then he became inactive. He got a civilian job at Pioneer Machining. Guess where that's located. Ten miles north in Logan Square, which is right across the street from Grainger, which is where Rebecca Clark worked as a clerk in Shipping and Receiving" I say. "Well, I mean, we know the Players and the 54th Street G's do have a pretty long history of gang warfare. How Rebecca Clark got involved, I have no idea, but this could be a retaliation hit, Sarge" Kevin said. "Yeah, well, why don't you start by asking him" Voight said.

....................................

Jay and Kevin got Reynolds down to the station where he was just interviewed by Jay and Voight. "Carlos Brigante, 26, lifelong Latin Player. Turns out he's been gunning for Jeremy Reynolds ever since Reynolds shot his baby brother, Pikey Brigante, in the ass two years ago" Voight said. "Did Reynolds say what went down" Kim asked. "Yeah, talk about random. After work, Reynolds and Rebecca Clark, they go out to dinner. Now, Reynolds doesn't have a car. So being the nice girl that Rebecca is, she offers to drive him home. They stop at the corner store just as Brigante happens to be walking by. He spots Reynolds, pulls his gun, shoots up the car. Reynolds dives out the passenger side, doesn't get hit once" Jay said.

"That's right, emptied his piece, ran into the Red Line station. Rebecca was just a casualty. Intelligence. Wrong place, wrong time. All this over some old beef" Voight said. "Hey. Gang Unit just contacted me. They have the location on Brigante. A Players stash house in Pilsen" I say. "Good. Hit it" Voight said.

At the stash house, Kevin and I waited in the back just in case Brigante tried to make a run for it. And what do you know. He did. As soon as he walked outside, he started firing his semi-automatic at us, and we had to duck down behind a car to avoid getting shot. "Hey, he's got a vest on. Aim for his head" Kevin told me. "Got it" I say. As soon as Brigante paused to reload his weapon, Kevin popped up and shot him straight in the forehead. "Dispatch, we've got shots fired by the offender and police. Offender is down with a gunshot to the head" Kevin said into his radio.

That night, once I had packed up my things, I walked over to Jay's desk. "Hey. Can you do me a huge favor" I ask him. "Depends on the favor" he said. "I was talking to my mom on the phone earlier, and she asked if you would come down to the hospital to say hello. You don't have to if you don't want to. I'd understand why, but uh, I figured I'd at least ask" I say. "Actually, I'd love to" Jay said. "Really" I ask. "Yeah. I love your mom. She's amazing. I'll meet you down there" Jay said. "Great. I guess I'll see you at the hospital" I say.