07. Under the Stars

Start from the beginning

Once the two got back inside Esme's home, Thor went to the kitchen to put the cooler away. Esme walked back outside, glancing up at her roof. With her Asgardian strength, she pushed off her feet, rocketing into the air. She made a soft landing on her roof, much better than the first time she attempted to do so. She'd had to patch her crash-landing holes herself.

Esme got herself comfortable, sitting with her arms around her legs. She jumped at Thor's sudden arrival on the roof with her.

"What are you doing up here?" He walked to sit beside her.

"The stars are nowhere near as beautiful as the ones we'd see back home, but they'll do," Esme murmured, eyes craned to the sky. "It'll probably be a silly question to ask, but, do you miss Asgard?"

"All the time. I miss my mother, my father, Loki..."

Esme swallowed. Though it was never confirmed out loud, Thor basically admitted Loki was never coming back. "What happened to him?"

"Thanos."

Esme closed her eyes. "How did he go?"

Thor didn't answer.

Esme put a hand on his shoulder. "Despite how much of a pain he could be, he was a good friend. He was turning around, I could see it."

"I could too."

Though Esme was closer to Thor, it didn't mean she didn't get along with Loki. Though, the bastard he could be, he knew how to dig under her skin.

~*~

Esme had found out the truth, and for that, she was Asgard's Most Wanted.

In the wake of Loki's "death", being a guard for the dungeon, Esme had learned a startling truth: Odin was an imposter. Loki was not dead at all, but it wasn't like Esme could tell that to Thor. He was away trying to solve all the other realms' problems. And who in Asgard would believe her, that they were being ruled by a false king wearing a false face? She was on her own in keeping this secret.

Thor would be pissed when he found out.

Unfortunately, Esme could not hide from "Odin", for her fellow guards had captured her, thrown her into a cell in the dungeon. She spent her time waiting for her punishment. Really, why should she get punished for knowing the truth? That sounded backwards.

Her ears perked up at hearing two sets of footsteps. She leapt off her cot at noticing Loki, not in his Odin appearance, and Thor. When she locked eyes with her love, she ran to the edge of her cell.

"About time you got caught," she sneered to Loki, who looked so unamused. "Nice to see you, my dear." She directed this at Thor. "Do you mind letting me out?"

The barrier was dropped, and Esme ran into Thor's arms. She heard Loki make a gag of annoyance. Once Thor released her, she slapped Loki.

"That's for making me a fugitive!" she roared in his face. "And for imprisoning me! I thought we were friends!"

"Friends or not, I couldn't be exposed."

"Oh, just because you finally got the throne through diabolical means—"

"I'm afraid we need to keep this brief, Esme," Thor explained. "Loki is taking me to Odin, I wanted to make sure you were liberated before we left. We will get you reinstated as a guard when we return."

"Thank you."

"The things you do for love," Loki gagged. Esme glared at the trickster, ready to punch him this time around. "No hard feelings, right, Esme?"

"I slapped you, now I feel the urge to punch you," she spat curtly. "What does that tell you?"

"That you have some anger management classes ahead of you."

Esme stood, fuming, as Loki smirked. Thor got between them before Esme could lunge for Loki. "Go ahead, I won't be long. Don't go too far," Thor told Loki.

"Gods, he's frustrating!" Esme fumed.

"Yes, I know. I grew up with him, more so than you." Thor took Esme's hands in his. "We won't be long. Things will get set right when we return."

"What will happen to Loki? Can I arrest him when you come back?"

Thor chuckled. "We'll get that sorted out. We'll return soon, Esme."

"You better."

~*~

"It's not right," Esme whispered. "He was having a pivotal arc in his life, and Thanos stole him."

"Thanos can't hurt anyone ever again."

"Good riddance. I miss him, Thor."

"I do, too. His last words were 'the sun will shine on us again, brother'. I thought that meant he'd come back." Esme noticed Thor's eyes becoming red. "He'd faked his death twice before, I was really hoping for a third time." He glanced down at his hands. "It's dumb, but, when we were younger, Loki used my love for snakes against me. He morphed himself into one, and when he had me where he wanted me, he changed back and stabbed me. We were eight. When we were on our walk, I looked for snakes, thinking..."

Esme sniffled, squeezing Thor's shoulder. She wasn't sure she could do it, let Thor down easy and tell him Loki wasn't coming back. That he wasn't disguising himself as a snake to keep an eye on his brother. She couldn't crush him like that. "Let's get the sun shining on you again, then. For Loki."

"How?"

"We'll work on it. I'll be in your corner, you won't be alone."

Thor pushed the side of his head against Esme's. "Thank you, Esme."

"Anything for..." What was the appropriate word here? Lover? Friend? Former flame? Former fiancé? "Anything for you, Thor."