CH 20: In The End

The farther I walked the more of that strange black goo I seemed to find. It peaked my interest for a while, wondering what it could possibly be.

Xaez just ignored it and kept walking, only once in a while raising his head to hiss or sniff the air.

Every single part of my body ached and all I wanted to do was go back to that house and sleep, but I had to stay with Xaez, he knew what he was doing, where we were going. He had to keep walking slow because of me and he was practically dragging me along with his tail.

It was strange to think that just a few days ago or week ago I was at my school, playing with my friends and complaining about homework, and now I ended up here. Back in school I would've thought that I'd be at home right now, laying in my room and playing with toys, or talking to Roman about how everything was going; but instead, I've killed people, I befriended a horrifying creature, I left my brother and don't know what will happen next.

Tears stung my eyes as I continued to think, but I refused to let them hurt me. 'I want to be with Roman, I want to be home, I don't want to be here anymore... I miss my old life... But I can survive in this one, I know I can, I'm strong...'  But my heart ached from the thoughts of my old life. I sniffled and shook my head. 'Everything is gone, there is no point to think about it, it's not like everything can be the way it was before, no matter how many times I want it to be'

I stared at the ground now, only focusing on keeping my grip on Xaez's tail. 'There is nothing left anymore...'  I felt sick, my stomach ached from what could be hunger or just from my own thoughts. I wanted to throw up or at least just lay down. Xaez would get upset at that though, he'd want me to keep going at this point.

It took me a while to notice that the black goo was now on the ground and I was stepping on it. Clear thick slime stuck to my shoes, making it even harder to lift my feet off the ground. "Xaez," I called out weakly, "Are we almost there? I ca-..." I paused for a deep breath, "I can't keep walking..."

That's when I hit the ground. Most of my fall cushioned by the strange goo; but my right hand and side of my face scraped against the concrete. I didn't even scream. It hurt but the pain wasn't as bad as the pain I felt in my head and heart. Xaez let out a screech and was already by my side, nuzzling the side of my head, or more of pushing.

I couldn't move. My legs weren't listening, no matter how hard I tried to move them. I could barely move my finger tips. So I just laid there.

Xaez screeched a couple more times, then I heard the sound of a long hiss before I was suddenly being lifted off of the ground. Xaez had grabbed the handle of my backpack and then held me like a mother holding a baby.

All I could do was look up at him as he continued his walk. I curled up as much as I could to try and stay warm and to stop my stomach from aching tremendously. Xaez had sped up his pace, not exactly at a jog but faster than a normal walk.

I closed my eyes, thinking of everything that had happened throughout my life, thinking of my friends and all the fun times we'd have hanging out. I smiled for a moment, only to think that all of my friends were dead, the smile faded quickly.

'I wanna go home...'  I thought to myself, already feeling tears fall from the side of my eyes. 'I want to go home and sleep.'   I felt like I couldn't do anything.

I opened my eyes to see grey clouds forming once again in the sky, I sighed, knowing that it would rain once again, the sun was still out though, peaking out from behind the clouds after they passed. I turned my face directly towards the sun, closing my eyes as I did, taking in as much heat as I could.