11 ; confrontation

Start from the beginning

Aang didn't want to hear this. It was sickening, a father that does that to his own offspring. But Zuko needed it off his chest, so he had to listen.

"And... And, then, he just, he just smiled at me," Zuko's voice cracked. "I didn't really even know what he was doing until I felt my skin bubble and slide off."

"Zuko, I can't make these memories less painful," Aang said softly. "But... I can be here for you. I can try to ease your mind from pain. I can be a friend."

Zuko stared at the floor, his cheeks glistened with tears. Aang pulled his sweatshirt sleeve over his hand and raised it to his face.

"May I?" Aang asked, and when Zuko gave a small nod, he gingerly wiped his tears away. "So? How about it? Friends again?"

Zuko stared at Aang's grey eyes for a long moment. When the silence became unbearable, Zuko laughed quietly.

"Of course," He said.

Aang hugged him at an awkward angle, because they were on the couch, but it got the point across.

"I'm sorry, for telling you all that bullshit about not being friends," Zuko said.

"It's fine," Aang breathed in quietly. He smelled like cigarette smoke and something ambrosial.

The next day at school was a lot better than before. Aang spent most of his free time with Zuko and Toph.

"About time you showed up," Toph said. "You fucking asshole."

"She doesn't mean it," Aang said.

"Yeah, I don't," She sighed. "But if you ever so that again, I'll rip you apart."

Both Zuko and Aang had an unspoken agreement that the talk they had would be kept between them. Aang liked that. It was their own personal moment, when Zuko really opened up.

"I have to go," Zuko said.

Aang stood up with him. "Where are you going?"

"...class?" He raised a brow.

"Oh," Aang smiled and sat back down. He had to stop acting so clingy. It was getting weird.

"Well, bye," Zuko waved to them and rounded the corner from the lunch table.

Toph pressed her bare feet into the snow. "Now that's what I call suspicious."

"Yeah, right? What kind of an answer is 'class'?" Aang scoffed.

"I meant you, dingbat!" She said, punching his arm lightly. "Why do you always ask where he's going?"

"I dunno.... I just don't want him to leave and not come back," Aang said quietly.

"Mhmm. Listen, I would know if he was lying," Toph reassured him. "Don't you worry about a thing."

"Can I worry about how we're going to get Katara to like Zuko after all that?" He grumbled.

"Er...Yeah, that's something we can worry about," Toph scratched her head. "She'll come around... I think."

"She hates him," Aang frowned.

"Well, damn, it's not like she found him in a crystal prison cave where she heard the sad story of his mother's death and offered to heal his scar with the water from the moon spirit's pool, only to be betrayed by him picking his sister!" Toph  growled.

"Uh, what?" His face was beyond confused.

"Never mind!" She sighed, slamming her head on the table.

It was going to be a long day.

<3 

Contrary to Aang's belief, Zuko showed up to third period. He sat down slowly, seeing Haru and Ty-Lee for the first time in a week and a half. 

They didn't look at him, they just stared at their notebooks. Aang and Zuko knew the notebooks were empty, they were in art class, and the teacher never had them write notes. 

"Alright, class, let's get settled down," The teacher walked through the door with a cup of coffee. "Today we're reviewing how to use a clay wheel."

Third period passed without conversation, except occasionally Aang would say something trivial to Zuko.  They were both glad when class ended, and then they walked to their next classes together. 

By seventh period, Zuko looked more tired than when Aang had first seen him in the trailer. Aang followed him through the door, and when he sat down, it seemed like he was just going to fall asleep.

"Are you okay?" Aang asked.

"Yeah, I'm just tired, not used to school," Zuko mumbled. "It's been a minute since I was here."

"We know," Toph elbowed him as she walked by. "Hey, your plant was dying, so Mr. Boko took it home."

"Shit..." He leaned forward. "I forgot about my tree."

"I'm sure it's fine now," Aang said. "Mr. Boko is good at plant care."

"Oh, really? He is? I didn't know! Maybe he could run an herbal care class at our school," Zuko said sarcastically. 

Aang frowned and sat back in his chair. Toph rolled her sightless eyes. "You know, your attitude today isn't helping Kat like you any better."

"I don't care.... She's the only one that hates me," He sighed. "Do I really need her approval?"

"Yes?" Aang looked offended. "It's just... she's like the mom of the group, so everyone listens to her. She's kinda like the final say."

"That's stupid," Zuko said. "Maybe I can ask about her mom, she sure does love to talk about that."

Toph snorted a laugh, and that's when Mr. Boko shushed the class. Of four people. 

"I don't think making fun of her is helping your cause," Aang said.

"We could always... hang out with her after school someday..." Toph said slowly. 

"Whatever works for you guys," Zuko said. "I'm going to sleep."

<3

"Aang, I have to tell you something."

"What's up?" Aang shut his locker.

Zuko was standing behind him, backpack hanging off one shoulder.

"Uh, well... Would you mind if we had this conversation alone?" Katara asked.

"You can say it to both of us," Aang smiled. "Besides, we're waiting for Toph."

"Fine," Katara said with her usual 'I'm-in-charge' voice. "Aang, I like you, and I want to ask you to the winter formal."

Aang was stunned into silence. Katara was like a sister, he'd never thought of her that way. Zuko was right behind him, if he didn't say something soon... Aang didn't want to feel like he was embarrassing Katara.

"I'll give you time to think," Kat placed a hand on Aang's shoulder. "But don't overthink it. Say yes."

Zuko was looking down when Katara left. Aang turned back to his locker, throwing books into it.

"Are you going to? You should... Katara's... nice?" Zuko said.

Aang's chest felt like someone was squeezing it. "Yeah, I probably will."

"Alright, then," Zuko looked a small bit sad.

"Toph is probably back from Mr. Boko's. Come on," He walked away, Zuko following him.

dah end of chapter 11 :o 

ahha ya... i just got 2 baby squirrels. their names are tic and tac because im not alloerd to name them sokka and katara aha

anyways love yall for reading my crappy little story :)))