Sitting there, Elizabeth just glared at him. She did not want to argue about this with him. It was her car- her problem. The last thing she wanted to be right now on top of everything else was indebted to such a virile man.

“Listen here, I’ve been able to take care of myself for six damn years, Zeb. Six years I did it all by myself and everything turned out just fine. I didn’t need you then and I sure as hell don’t need you now. So thanks- but no thanks. You can keep your money because I refuse to accept it.”

“Elizabeth, take the money…” he pushed, clearly frustrated with this entire conversation.

She didn’t want to hear anymore. She was done! Angling her body to the side, she bent down and started to undo her seat belt. Elizabeth had every intention of getting out of the car and heading back in the house. She should have known that it would be like this with Zeb. She should have known that when he walked back into her life that he would try and take it over in every way that he possibly could.

Well, it was not going to happen. She wasn’t the same innocent eighteen year old virgin that he bedded six years ago. She grew up thanks to him. If he wanted a life to control he could go somewhere else because she was ready to wash her hands of him.

“Elizabeth!” Zeb reached out and grabbed her wrist at the same time that she placed her opposite hand on the door handle. “Oh no you don’t,” he told her. “You are not running from me again. I told you the last time that you’re not getting rid of me that easily. I felt his hands wrap around my arm and turn me back to face him.

She slumped back in her seat, irritation riding her hard. She stared down at her lap and shook her head. “Zeb, you’re not getting it. This is all too much for me to handle right now. You, are too much. It would be best if you would just let me go, please.” She begged of him.

Zeb pulled the hand that he was holding up to his lips and pressed a soft kiss to each of her knuckles. “Lizzie, it’s you I think that doesn’t seem to get it. Can’t you see…” he squeezed her hand, willing her to hear his words, “don’t you understand- I can’t do that anymore. You belong with me, Elizabeth. You always have and I think somewhere in that scrambled up head of yours that you know that, too. And hell, maybe I’m being a little selfish here but I’m not willing to let you go again. Six years without you was too long.”

He let go of her hand and leaned over so that his broad palms could frame her face. He tilted her head back so that she couldn’t look anywhere but at him.

Looking into his eyes, Elizabeth could feel the intensity of his gaze. Her breath hitched. No, he wouldn’t let her go.

She knew that now. He was in this for the long haul whether she wanted him there or not.

“Elizabeth,” And the way he so sweetly said her name instantly calmed her in a way that only Zeb could have done.

“I know that you have provided for yourself for the last six years, and from what I’ve already seen you’ve done a damn good job of it too. Look at you baby.  You put yourself through school and now you’re a nurse- a good one at that.” He grinned. “I don’t want to deprive you of your hard earned independence; I just want to help you out. I want to make your life a little easier. That’s what friends, lovers, couples, or whatever it is that you want to call this thing we have going on between us, do for one another.”

She felt the all too familiar sting of those damn traitorous tears again burning behind her lids. She knew it was a lost cause to try and hold them back. No one had ever said anything like this to her before.

His thumb reached out and gently wiped the diamond shaped tears smoothly away. “I meant every word that I said to you earlier. Please, Elizabeth, don’t fight me on this. Let me help you with this one little thing. Let me help you get your car fixed.”