umbrella. | eugene roe

Start from the beginning

One day, as you were seated by their windowsill, he came up to you, tapping your shoulder twice. "Wanna go for a walk?" he asked, tilting his head to see the sky through the window.

"Eugene, it's pouring," you laughed, as he reached out to put a hand on your head.

"So?" he grinned, showing you his pearly white teeth, "I gave you an umbrella for a reason. Come on." Grabbing your hand, he dragged you out the door, an umbrella in his hands.

As you strolled through the city, shoulders bumping into the other's in an attempt at staying dry, you glanced at the man beside you, taking notice of what he was doing. Eugene's eyes were glassy, looking around, taking in each detail they crossed.

"My childhood friend used to live there," he smiled, pointing down the street to a small building, "He lived with two other people."

"Where did he go?" your eyes followed his finger, taking note of his 'used to.'

Eugene put his hand back in his pocket, looking down at you, and sighed. "Got drafted."

You pursed your lips together and nodded as he continued down the sidewalk. He continued to point out random buildings, telling you stories he had of each one.

This used to be a school I went to, my aunt lived here until she got married and moved to Europe, I got my first job here.

You listened to him as he spoke, his voice sometimes cracking, when he'll look down at you with a smile. Soon enough, he had his arm around your shoulder, which initially was uncovered by the rain. When he realised the umbrella was too small for the both of you, Eugene seemed to shrink, wrapping his arm around you so tightly it was as though you were one person.

Eventually, you stood by the edge of the river, watching as raindrops met the surface, causing circles to form in the water. He was awfully quiet, the rain slowly stopping making the silence between the two of you extra loud.

"What's wrong?" you asked him, realising he never told you anything about himself, and that this was the most he had shown you. Something has got to be up.

Eugene nibbled on his bottom lip, his nose red. "I enlisted," he mumbled, and your mouth fell open, looking at him once more in a different light. All around you, men were leaving, but it had never occurred to you that Eugene, your Eugene, would leave as well.

Unexplainable sadness washed over you, and you tightly wrapped your hand around his, your eyes a mirror of his. "When are you leaving?" you asked as he glanced down at your intertwined fingers.

"Next week," Eugene mumbled out a reply, either worried about your reaction or too sad to admit it. Or both. "I'm leaving Monday."

You let out a soft gasp. It was Thursday. "But we have so much to do together still," the words came out of you before you could keep them in, and understanding crossed his face.

He smiled sadly, squeezing your hand once. "That's why I brought you out here," Eugene said, pulling you slowly to walk by the river bank, "So you'd fall in love with Lafayette the same way I am. Then I'll know you'll be here when I come back."

You glanced towards the river, and the city beyond it, then turned towards the path you had just walked. You were in love with Lafayette, but not for the reasons he had given you. You loved Lafayette because of the Roes, who so readily took you in when you just arrived, and because of Eugene, who had grown so dear to your heart, more than you expected.

"I'll be here," you announced as you both walked quietly. Eugene stopped to sit on a bench, tugging your arm to urge you to take a seat as well, but you remained standing, looking down at him, the umbrella no longer covering you and drenching your hair.

"You're getting wet," he frowned, once more standing to cover you with an umbrella, "You could get sick." His eyebrows were creased in worry.

You gulped. "I said I'll be here, Gene," you repeated, and he nodded but continued trying to pat your hair dry, "No, listen to me." Grabbing his arm, you dropped the umbrella, drenching the both of you. "Now we're both wet. Listen."

For a second, he seemed panicked, but when his eyes met yours, he instantly calmed. "I'm listening."

"I'll be here because I love you," the words tumbled out of your lips, and Eugene paused, his hand falling to his side. For a moment, you were afraid you had said too much too quickly. You suddenly felt cold.

Eugene seemed to sense your panic, as he quickly cupped your face in his hands, resting his soaked forehead on yours, the cold disappearing, the warmth in his touch spreading across your body. "Oh thank god," he breathed, shutting his eyes, "I had no clue how to tell you the same thing. Wait for me?"

He was no longer asking; He was making sure. "I'll be here."

***

a/n: this is based off of 相合傘, which is basically sharing an umbrella with someone! we don't necessarily hug, kiss, or even shake hands as a form of greeting, and personal space is a big deal in japan. so sharing an umbrella is seen as very intimate, and a huge deal! 

this was hard for me to write because i struggle to write quiet characters, but i loved this as practice, so thank you so much for requesting. 🥺

i hope you like this one!

with love,

𝓖