Our Dynamic

The road was empty, the 12 houses on the street were all locked. Everyone was asleep.
Except him.
Clean , recently cut and mowed gardens, hedges and lawns were conspicuously signs of the well maintained area. Each house had a different blueprint and I knew each one by heart, especially house 5. The moon was high in the black sky, illuminating the gated community. As I crept stealthily around the back of house 8, the lights above me on the third floor blinked on. I pressed myself into the cold wall where the shadows provided a alcove to hide in. My jeans were black, along with the t-shirt and my Nike air sneakers.

His house was just down by house 5. That was where I was heading. A voice rang out from behind the back door of house 8.
"Who is there?"  It was Mr. Andrews. A very big man with a very big house, car and dog. The only thing small about him was his insane high pitched voice. I smiled as I recalled a story of him having a small body part and as a result of his incompetence in bed, his wife took their daughter and remarried someone else. According to her. Twice the man her ex husband was.

I saw it once.

When he ran out in a hurry to get his dog and his towel fell. After waiting for five minutes, he retreated back to bed. Switching the lights off as he went.

I crept out of the alcove and continued to walk through the connecting gates at the back of each house attaching them to their back patios, pools and bars. As I got to house 5, I stilled. The gate was already open. I scanned the back yard of Damani Francis. He usually got in late from work and his gate was always closed. I checked my watch. I still had two minutes before he drove in. I had to go now.

I stepped forward and was met with a thin line, a cord. Realisation struck me and I unconsciously froze. I watched in horror as a bell rang out in the night silence and his pair of German shepherds came bounding towards me, with foaming mouths and vicious snarls.
"HALT !" . His honey smooth voice stated and all at once everything stopped. Even the wind stilled. The dogs sat staring at the chair that was usually in front of the back door. The alarm had ended and hopefully no police officers or worse my neighbors would see me in this predicament.  I gulped.
"What is it with you and your nightly visits?"
A question. It required an answer. I racked my brain trying to get the right words.
"Ayanne, you should speak when you are spoken to. I have asked you a question."
The underlying threat in that voice would only be heard by me. The light flipped on and I was blinded by the sudden brightness.

My eyes became adjusted to the light and I saw him. He was seated in the throne-like seat. His black tuxedo suit had prevented me from previously seeing him. His hair brushed back, black with youth. His shoulders were broad, I wanted him again. My eyes roamed his body and I smiled in satisfaction. He hadn't changed much since the last time.

" I wanted to see you Mani" I said softly.  He rose quickly.
"Why ? Ayanne you need to go home. You had the chance of a lifetime and you threw it in the trash. Don't come here at night wanting to see me."
My heart fell. I thought he had not moved on as i had never let go of us.  I sighed deeply. Turning away with tears pricking my eyes, I willed myself not to cry. Not here.

"Anne?" His voice cracked. I kept my feet moving. His distinct hand rested firmly on my shoulder. He gently pulled me into his chest. I breathed in deeply before the tears decided to fall anyway. He instinctively ran his hand through my hair. It was just how he embraced me. Memories of us last summer were drowning me at home. His kisses, his hugs, his voice were all in the forefront of my mind.

We had been dating since we were 15. Our parents had known and decided that we should just not have sex. We had complied. But last summer when we turned 21, things got heated. We lost control of our passion and I let him take me. After a couple weeks of us being as one, complete bliss as our solace, he had to take over the family business. I got the chance to leave and go to yale. This was a once in a lifetime chance of entry for me. It was a scholarship I had earned fair and square. My parents had been proud. They threw a celebration party although they had wanted me to join with the Francis corporation and build our two companies.