"Don't need protectin'," he muttered behind him but she ignored it. To her, he was the one thing worth saving when everything went to hell and no matter how good he was at fighting someone, her father had an affinity for guns. And Harry refused to carry one after the war.

    "You will if bullets are involved." Josiah reached for the telephone, picking up the receiver and dialing for the operator. "Sergeant Petty, Birmingham Police, please Miriam."

    Of course he was on a first name basis with the operator, Cicely thought to herself. She felt a hand on her lower back, and she rotated her head just enough to catch Harry out of the corner of her eye. He was tense, she could see it in his eyes, the way they were partially looking at her but also spacing off, the crease between his brows and the tightness of his jaw. "Harry," she whispered, quiet enough that no one else in the room could hear. "I'm going to be okay." She didn't really know if that was true, but she needed Harry to believe it. When he was like this it was hard for him to think straight, and she needed his mind in order to make sure she stayed out of her father's clutches. 

    "I..." Harry sighed, his gaze shifting to the floor. "Are you sure ya want to stay?"

    The thought of letting her father take her home hadn't even crossed her mind when she saw the policeman in the street. Instead, her thoughts revolved around how to make sure she could stay with Harry, how to keep them safe from her father. The prospect of returning to the hell that was her home, her life, her predetermined future, was enough to make her nod her head. "Positive," she told him, and his eyes lifted to hers.

    She could see his jaw relax, his eyes clear and really look at her. He was better.

    "Petty, I need to know if some of your men have been working for William King." Josiah was speaking into the phone, a hand open on the desk, resting on a collection of papers. "And when is that supposed to take place?" His eyes shifted to Cicely, then Harry, and finally rested on Jack. His brother shifted in his seat and picked up a cigarette from the box on the table, then pulled a lighter from his pocket. "Keep everybody away from the area, ya hear me? Every man that you can keep out of the area, do it. No, I'm not telling you shit." Josiah slammed down the receiver and downed the rest of the glass of whiskey on his desk.

    The fast that it was eleven in the morning hardly seemed relevant.

    "Your asshole of a father has the city police out on patrol for ya. Seems someone got a sighting of ya and tipped them off that you were at Harry's, in Balsall. He's comin' to collect ya tomorrow at eight o'clock."

    "That's in less than 24 hours," Harry said, the hand on her back forming into a fist that she wished she could unfurl.

    Josiah grabbed the bottle of whiskey and refilled his crystal glass, and then two others. He pushed them towards Cicely and Harry before saying, "Just means we got a lot of planning to do."

Jack dropped Cicely and Harry off at the house at half past six, after the plans had been put in motion and there was no going back. Josiah had told them to let him and Jack handle it, to stay inside and out of sight, and that they'd post a few men outside to keep an eye on the house in case her father decided to surprise them a bit early. With a nod to Harry and a kiss to Cicely's temple, Jack drove off, leaving Harry and Cicely behind on the street. It was empty, everyone at work or out running errands, just a few children out on their porches up the block.

    Harry unlocked the door quietly and Cicely followed him inside. They hadn't spoken for all of the car ride from Josiah's, Cicely because she didn't know what was going through Harry's head, and Harry because he was too angry to think of words. As he moved through the house, Cicely could tell he was angry. The way he sighed sharply and lit a cigarette, clenched at the table as he studied a wall, before pacing back and forth in the hallway, a hand roughly running through his hair. She stood next to the stairs, watching him, unsure what to say.