Chapter 5*

Cicely practically ran all the way to Josiah's. She had been there only a handful of times before, usually by accident when she was out with Harry and he told her he had to stop by. The first time she had met Josiah, she was apprehensive, unsure what to make of the man standing behind the oak desk across from her, a cocky smile on his face. He reminded her of men she had met dozens of times before, men too big for their britches, as her father said. But then he spoke to Harry, and she could see how much he cared for him, despite the tension between them. She suspected it was more on Harry's end than Josiah's, the result of trustworthy people being few and far between in his life. Josiah might have been brash and rough around the edges, but Cicely didn't mind that too much. He was nothing but kind to her, polite, told her that if anyone fucked with her they would answer to him, and it was a promise.

    A promise she intended on holding him to.

    She rapped on the glass of the door in the pattern she had seen Harry do, bouncing up and down on the toes of her boots as she waited for the door to open. When it did, it was Clara, the secretary who had offered to take Cicely shopping if she needed to. "Cicely?" She asked, and then took one looked at the panicked expression on her face and opened the door wider. "Harry's in with Josiah."

    Cicely pushed past her and took the stairs two at a time, thankful she had spent her life doing unconventional things like riding horses and running around on the estate rather than embroidering in the parlor. When she pushed open the door to Josiah's office, she was panting from racing through the house, and the conversation in the room immediately cut out. Josiah, Jack, and Harry were sitting there, their faces all turned to her in surprise.

    She had taken an especially strong liking to Jack, who she knew was Harry's closest friend and confidante. He was everything his brother wasn't in the ways that mattered—soft spoken, a kind smile, warm eyes. But she could tell he had another side to him, one that made people cower in fear when he entered a room. It was a side she was relying on.

    Her eyes swept right to Harry's, one hand resting on the door jamb and the other on her stomach as it rose and fell with her breath. "My father," she said, breathless. "He found me."

    "Fuck," Harry responded in an exhale, rising from the chair he sat in and coming to her side. He pressed a palm to her cheek and his eyes criss-crossed her face as if he was checking for damage. Thankfully, there was none. "What happened?"

    She gripped his wrist as she told the story, describing the scene on the front steps and the way her hair stood up from the policeman's gaze. "I just know it," she told him earnestly. "He figured it out and he's not going to waste time before he gets here."

    "What do you want us to do?" Josiah asked, leaning over the oak desk and looking her straight in the eye. "I hate William King enough to do just about anything you me to do, all ya have to do is say the word."

    Cicely considered it. She knew he would kill her father if she asked, and while she hated her father with every bone in her body, she didn't want him murdered in cold blood. That would leave her mother alone on that estate and it would be hard for Cicely to run from everything, since she was the sole heir to the family name, the business, everything. Even though she wouldn't be in charge—her father had seen to it that she would fall to her husband, and until she married the second in command of the company—it still meant that she couldn't abandon ship. Her mother would never forgive her, and even though her mother had done countless things that were unforgivable, Cicely still loved her. Far more than she did her father, at least.

    "Don't kill him," she said, stepping around Harry's body so she was facing Josiah head on. "But don't let him make me leave. Threaten him with force and protect Harry at all costs."