"no thanks." he said it abruptly, i don't know him but for some reason the tone seemed unnatural coming from his mouth, "can't you tell i'm in a rush?" he quickly swiped his coffee from the counter along with an absurd amount of sugar sashays and left a five dollar bill in his wake.

feeling defeated, and with tears pricking at my eyes i willed myself not to cry. theres no need to be overly emotional today, i can do that any day.

i'm so stupid, he was obviously in a rush— why would i offer him cake? are you dense y/n?

i spent the next twenty minutes or so obsessively thinking about the encounter with the tall man. if i ever see him again i need to apologise, maybe i made him late to work!

it wasn't until i heard the bell ring again was i able to pull away from my self deprecating thoughts.

the next customer was a woman, dressed in a colourful dress to match her bright red hair. she looked fantastic, so i told her so while i was making her drink.

"aw, stop you're so sweet. i love your dress— it makes you look like an angel."  she was right, i suppose. my white dress was the nicest dress i have— detailed embroidery and a thick material that went to my mid thigh. it set me back a whole pay check last year and i hadn't yet had an excuse to wear it. the white of the dress complimented the rosiness of my skin, paired with my wavy blonde hair, maybe i do look like an angel. the thought made me smile.

her compliment seemed so sincere and it warmed my heart and made me feel so much better about this morning. i could feel a blush spread from my neck to my face, turning it red.

"it's opening day so i'm giving out some free slices of my lemon drizzle if you'd like some? you can take a few for a friend or something? i don't think i'll be able to give them all out." i laughed, it's true— i had over baked.

"oh yes! please," she was asking my name.

"y/n." she seemed at ease with the small talk as i put the lid onto her cup.

"i'm penny, could i actually get, like six or seven of those. don't worry though i'll pay for them!" i shook my head, they're free anyway— what's the harm?

"no, no. take them, let me just bag these up for you." i smiled at her as she place the six dollars she owed for her coffee on the counter and began placing each of her cake slices in a take away bag.

"here you go, penny, enjoy! and come back again, it'd be nice to have such a pretty regular." i winked at her and she giggled before giving me a wave and leaving the bakery.

it wasn't until she was gone did i notice she had put ten dollars in my tip jar.

the rest of the day goes without a hitch. eighteen paying customers. some with friends, some with children. all in all, around thirty people came into and left the bakery today. i felt ecstatic and drained and happier than ever and exhausted and it's like my body doesn't actually know what do with itself.

with then minutes left until closing, i busied myself with tidying up the mess behind the counter. there hadn't been a new customer for the last hour so, assuming there would be no one else i got up to change the open/close sign for the second time today when the door pushed open.

i'm sure i looked like a deer in headlights, halfway across the room and staring wide-eyes at the familiar man.

composing myself, i decided i should apologise, "uh, hi? i'm so sorry for making you late this morning it's just i thought you seemed upset or something and maybe a slice of my cake could have cheered you up, and also you were my first ever customer and i just really wanted you to like me because i'm new to this but then you were probably just in a rush because you look smart which probably means you do a smart person job which means you probably, no, definitely don't have time to get cake before work but then i bothered you and i'm sorry that was really, like, silly of me and i'm sorry."  he looks extremely caught off guard by my rambling and— oh god he probably hates me even more now cause i just harassed him when he probably just wanted a cup of coffee.

"no! i'm sorry, please, i feel terrible for being rude to you earlier. and you're right i was in a rush— but you didn't make me late i wasn't even on my way to work. i just—" he sighed and looked directly at me, for the first time ever. his eyes are so pretty.

"my friend, penelope, she got some of your cake today and she gave me a slice and then i realised i could have been so much kinder to you this morning because you really were just trying to be nice. besides, i live in the apartment building next door and i'll probably be in here a lot, so, i'm sorry. and you have nothing to apologise for. really." he looked really apologetic, but i hadn't been angry at him anyway.

"let's start over. hi, i'm y/n, did you enjoy the cake?" i smiled at him. he looked away— his cheeks a light pink.

"yes, it was delicious— truly probably the nicest cake i've ever had. and my coworkers think so as well." the warmth in my heart grew.

"the here, have another..." he hadn't give me his name yet.

"spencer, spencer reid." he gave me a nervous smile, already avoiding eye contact entirely once again.

"enjoy the lemon drizzle, spencer." i said handing him a to-go bag. he smiled and practically ran out the door.

authors note
i was supposed
to put this out earlier but
i got all in my head
thinking it wasn't
good enough.
anyways, a reminder
to check out the other
version of you think
the description
will fit you better!
lots of love x