Mrs. Farley cleared her throat, "If I may, Charles?"

The attorney nodded and took another drink of coffee. "Of course."

"I realize bringing your brother up out of the blue is more than a little disconcerting and we apologize for that. We don't have... situations such as this come up very often. Any way," she took some papers out of a briefcase by her chair and set them on the table before her.

She took a breath. "One never really knows how to begin a conversation such as this, so I'll be very straightforward, shall I?"

"Please do." Bobbi said.

"I'd appreciate it," Rowdy added.

Mrs. Farley nodded, "Several months ago, my office was contacted by a Miss Abigail Mitchell asking for our help. You see, she had a little girl, Charity, she's eight now."

'Charity. Brody had asked Rowdy to look after Charity. Could it be....? '

Having told Bobbi what Brody had said that day on Apple Blossom Hill, they looked at each other.

"Anyway, Miss Mitchell was asking for help with the permanent care and custody of Charity. Unfortunately, Miss Mitchell had only recently discovered that she had stage four Colon cancer and that it was inoperable."

Both Bobbi and Rowdy gasped, feeling instant sympathy for both the unknown mother and child.

Mr. Bently took up the story. "Yes, it's very sad indeed. You see, Miss Mitchell had been taking care of her mother who was in the late stages of Alzheimers. She was so busy between caring for her mother and her child that she didn't pay attention to herself until her mother passed on. By the time the cancer was found, it was, as I said stage four and was quite widespread... It was unfortunately too late for treatment."

Bobbi and Rowdy looked at each other, shaken by the sadness of the two, but confused as to what it should have to do with Rowdy.

"The older woman smiled sadly, "I know this is all a bit confusing and you are no doubt wondering how you fit into the situation."

Rowdy nodded, "While I feel terrible for these two, I can assure you I am not the child's father." The last thing he needed was for Bobbi to think he had fathered a child and kept it hidden from her.

"Oh goodness, we're quite aware of that." Donna assured them, "but you see Mr. Kincaid, your brother, is. You, are the child's uncle. Charity is your brother's daughter. Miss Mitchell didn't find out about the pregnancy until after he had left on his last tour of duty, of which I understand you, too were a member."

The cowboy nodded silently and cleared his throat.

"We're so very sorry to bring this up. I can't imagine the horror you went through." The case worker laid her hand on Rowdy's arm and said quietly.

"I assume," Bobbi began knowing that Rowdy had been thrown for a loop and needed a moment, "that you have documentation, birth records, lab reports, etc. to back this up."

"Absolutely," Mr. Bently assured them. "There are a number of letters between Miss Mitchell and your brother, that she provided. He is named on the birth certificate as the biological father and DNA tests have confirmed it. She made a copy of her last letter to your brother in which she notified him of her pregnancy. She was very excited about it but was unsure of his reaction. She stated in the letter that she would understand that if he preferred, he did not have to be part of the baby's life. She didn't know at that time of course that she was ill."

"If he was overseas when the baby was born how could DNA have been gathered let alone tested?" Rowdy was getting past the shock and becoming annoyed.

"He visited her during his last leave time."