twenty

AN// hey friends !! Life has been hard lately, I'm trying to get it back together tho. Hope you all are doing okay!! I've been editing every chapter of Blacklist to make the story make sense a little more, add a little more detail and stuff. I never thought y'all would love this book so much. Honestly, the love has kept me from abandoning this book completely. I love you all, enjoy a long awaited chapter!!

Harry

I'm startled from my uncomfortable sleep on the sticky loveseat by a loud knock on the door. I see Grace stir so I quickly climb out of bed to see who is at the door before they wake her up. I take a look out the peep hole and sigh in relief whenever I see a familiar crooked smile on the other side. I  pull my hood up over my head and quietly slip out of the door.  I thought the knock had sounded familiar.

After closing the motel door behind me, I double check to make sure it's locked and scurry down the stairs, down the road and to an old diner about a mile down the way. Red paint chips from the siding, the outdoor light flickers on and off and the door creaks loudly when I push it open causing the few diners to take a quick glance at me. I shove my hands in my pocket and stay silent as we I walk for the diner trying to find a seat away from most of the people. The plastic on most of the booths are split open and cracked,  the ugly yellow foam peaking through. It's withered from the years of strangers sliding in and out for a date over greasy cheeseburgers, having secret conversations amongst themselves. My eyes scan the restaurant for an adequate place to sit. I find a booth that's not split in the back corner of the restaurant and slide in. We didn't say anything on the way here, and by this point he's stopped outside to smoke a cigarette.

A young blonde girl appears seconds after I slide in the seat, still laughing from the conversation she had with her customer a few tables over.  "What can I get you to drink?"

"Just a tea and toast. That's all, thanks love," I mumble and hand her the menu. It smells a lot like late night coffee and sounds a lot like drunk teenagers sitting across the restaurant. I look up every time the door creaks open until finally William walks in, reeking of cigarette smoke.

Its a sigh of relief to see him after so long. I can tell by the smile that tugs the corners of his mouth that he is thinking the same thing. He's grinning as he takes a seat across from me.

The girl approaches our table once again. "I'll take a coffee, black," he said, handing the menu that she just sat down on the table back to her. "Oi, and a muffin. Do you have those yet?"

"For you, sure." She smiles.

The moment she walks away, William slides an envelope across the table.

"For your troubles," he smiles. I pick it up, glancing around for wandering eyes before slipping it in the pocket of my hoodie.

"Have you talked to Arthur?"I ask him. He shakes his head no in response, opening his napkin and setting his fork to the side.

"Not recently, but you know how he is."

"I think Grace knows. Or she's close to knowing." I said.

William's face falls from a smile to a look of concern, the same concerned expression that's plastered to my face. Our tips are tight as we stare at each other. I take a sip of my water to break the encounter.

"We got into a fight or something and she said that I brought her right back into her dad's past. I told her my dad knew him."

William half-heartedly chuckles. "You two are fighting, what are ye married?"

His irish accent is thicker when he chuckles.

"I'm here for a job mate, not a wife." I laugh.

He laughs to himself and silence consumes us once more as we both ponder the within.