*****************************

"Shadow, remind me to have a dress made for you in the near future. It has just dawned on me that you are going to look ridiculous dressed as you are in Miss Rome's and my own presence. I suppose I could have you pose as a body guard..." John's words were cut short by a sharp rap on his window. John rolled down the glass and smiled hugely as the gorgeous red head descended the front steps of Stark Tower. Her black dress hung provocatively low in the back and clung to her curves in a way that left little to the imagination, while maintaining a classic and even elegant silhouette. The chauffeur opened the door, allowing John to stand and greet her.

"Miss Rome. I must say, you grow more beautiful everytime I see you." He took her hand and laid a kiss across her knuckles. Internally, Natasha gagged.

"It's been a while, John. Perhaps your memory is simply failing you?" She gave him a sly smile and pulled her hand away. He stepped aside and gestured for her to enter the vehicle.

"Perhaps. Lets see if you can jog my memory."

She slid into the vehicle, hesitating when she lay eyes on the uniformed woman sitting across from her. John slid in after her, smiling like the Cheshire cat. "Miss Rome, this is my dear friend Shadow. Shadow this is Miss Rome. Say hello."

Shadow nodded curtly at Natasha.

"Hello." Her voice was low and even. Natasha tensed slightly. Something was off.

"Hello. John, why is it you asked to see me? I was under the impression you were severely displeased with me."

John laughed a short bark. "Displeased? No, of course not. Though I was a bit put out to discover that you were undermining my entire operation and costing me millions as well as consorting with my enemies to have me locked away. That wasn't a very friendly thing to do. And while most would hold a grudge, I've asked you out tonight to assure you that I harbor no ill will for you or yours." Natasha stared hard at him. Something was very wrong.

"Would it hurt your feelings if I were to say that I don't believe you?" She watched him closely. He smiled again, giving nothing away.

"Not at all. I am a firm believer in the golden rule. And on the flip side of that, if I had wronged you and this scene were reversed I would wager I wouldn't trust you either. But you should relax, Natalie. If I had wanted to hurt you, I would have done so this morning when your flight arrived. Ah! We have arrived." The limo slid smoothly to a stop in front of an elegant and expensive looking restaurant. Natasha shot a fleeting glance to Shadow, who still sat rigid, staring straight ahead.

"Come along, Shadow." John stepped out of the vehicle and stopped to offer Natasha a hand. She took it, and they walked into the restaurant with Shadow trailing on their heels.

*********************************

Clint watched the agent disappear into the black limo. The moment he'd laid eyes on John, he'd felt a spike of unease. The limo pulled away from the curb and he followed on foot. He had a pretty good idea where an ostentatious man like Madrio would take a gorgeous woman like Natasha. Minutes later he rounded a corner just in time to see Natasha emerge from the limo. He stood in the shadows watching as another woman exited the limo right behind her. This woman obviously didn't belong. Her long blond hair was pulled back in a tight, high pony tail. She wore a black and slate gray armor body suit and combat boots. She appeared to be unarmed, but his agent training told him otherwise. She followed John and Natasha in to the building like a shadow.

"This can't be good." Clint muttered, entering the building across from the restaurant and making for the roof. Luckily for Nat, the restaurant's roof was all glass, so Clint would be able to monitor everything from the roof across the street. Once on the roof, Clint turned on his ear comm.