chapter sixteen

Two weeks.

For two weeks straight, the entirety of the Nekoma volleyball team has been trying to woo you into agreeing to be their manager. For two weeks, you've been receiving nothing but small gifts such as key charms, candy, your lunch being swapped out for something much better, and more.

For two weeks, one member of the volleyball club would meet up with you after school at your shoe locker to get you to say yes into being their manager. Today, it was Yaku and although he was a few inches taller than you, he still intimidated you nonetheless. His eyes pierced into yours as he waited for your answer.

"Yaku-senpai, I'm afraid I'll have to give you the same answer as the other members. I'll-"

"You'll think about it and afterwards not think about it because you're too busy overthinking. Don't worry, Tsubaki told us." You stared at him wide eyed as he held his gaze with you. Recently you had started to confine in your other friends, more so in Haruka and Tsubaki since they were in the same grade as you and the same age.

Right now, however, the little (Y/N)'s in your head couldn't help but start running around in panic at how Tsubaki had "betrayed us!"

You sighed at Yaku before closing your shoe locker and taking a seat on the bench that was placed in order for students to put their shoes on. You patted the seat next to you as you started to tie the laces of your shoes. Instead of sitting next to you (as he should've, reason why you patted the seat next to you), Yaku had lowered down and started to tie your laces for you.

In return, you felt yourself becoming flustered at his actions. When he finished, he patted your head before sitting next to you.

"I don't see what you're so worried about. I mean... everyone's bound to make mistakes, right? Let's take Lev as an example.

He's not very good at volleyball but, with each passing day he's getting better; and he'll keep getting better by learning from his mistakes.

Manager duty is like any other thing in life. Yes, you'll make mistakes, but you'll learn from them and keep going. Besides, no one's perfect. We don't expect you to be exceptional at first. Everything takes time." With a final smile, Yaku bid you goodbye as he walked off towards the gymnasium, leaving you in your thoughts.

One thing for sure.

You were definitely leaning a bit more towards becoming the manager.

-

Unfortunately for you, the next day was your turn to clean the classroom so you couldn't tell the team of your decision. Cleaning duty was something that you've only seen on TV and after Nanami had told you to not believe anything on TV, you were so sure that cleaning a classroom was also not true.

Oh how wrong you were.

Your partner couldn't be there to help you since they had club activities and although you were just a bit pissed, you understood and told them to not worry about it. On the brighter side, you happen to like the silence of being alone. It was calm as you swept and it provided you comfort as you were lost i. your thoughts.

It made you forget that it was always calm before a storm.

Creeping around the corner of the classroom was Rin and the smirk that she wore originally had widened when she realized you were alone. She cleared out her throat for you to notice her and when you looked up, you reminded her of a deer caught in headlights.

"Hello (L/N)-san~ How are you?"

You awkwardly looked at her and smiled weakly. You didn't have the proof and neither did the rest of your friends, but if there was one thing for sure, she most definitely did those awful things to you.