chapter eight

You were scared.

On the outside, it seemed as if you were calm and cool. This is what most magazine issues would use to describe you anyways; however on the inside, you were shaking and the little (Y/N)s in your head were screaming murder and running around to get away from the fire that had started. Currently your teacher was calling out names, putting students into pairs and making them work together for the remaining of class. You let out a mental shriek as you heard Tsubaki's name being called out along with some other girl. She threw you a smile as she sat next to him.

The fire in your head has spread throughout the whole brain.

The teacher kept calling out names and all you could do was silently sit there as students paired up. Oh how you wish to have practiced your social skills. 'Is this punishment for not cleaning the dishes last week?'

"Kozume Kenma and... (L/N) (Y/N)."

You nervously walked up to your teacher to grab the worksheets and strideded over to where Kenma was. You silently looked up at you as you nervously (but gracefully) sat down at the desk in front of him. You turned yourself around and handed him a worksheet. He nodded towards you as a way to thank you and you both worked silently on the pre-calculus problems. It wasn't until you got to the last section of the worksheet was when you became stuck.

'Convert each equation from polar to rectangular form...'

"Kozume-san." Kenma looked up from his worksheet to you. His stare almost reminded you those of a cat (and that made you a little nervous). "Can you help me on the last section? I'm a little lost."

"...Sure."

In little word (maybe even less), he explained to you the steps on how to solve it. You smiled as you solved the last question before time was up. You were looking over your answers when you felt a tap on you hand. You looked up to see Kenma avoiding eye contact.

   "Let's... go over the answers... together." You nodded as your face flushed.

-

Unfortunately, the girls had to go do club activities during lunch; therefore, you were alone. You sighed as you sat in the empty classroom, soaking in the silence that it provided for you. Your lunch box was now empty from yesterday's leftovers (did you give your dad the disappointed but not surprised look? Yes, yes you did). Putting away the lunch box in your bag, you took out some assignments that your teacher had given you, opting to work on them instead. It was 10 minutes in when there was a knock at the classroom entrance. You looked up to see that it was Kuroo.

"You busy?"

"Not really, just some assignments."

Kuroo let out a chuckle from his place near the door.

   "So... you are busy?" You flushed as you nodded no. He strided over to where you were and took a seat at the desk in front of you. He rested his chin on the back piece of the chair. His stare made you nervous as you continued to silently work. You hoped that he couldn't hear your erratic heart, because right now it was being a bit too loud for your liking.

"Have you joined a club?"

You stopped working and looked up to him. He wore a grin as he looked at you in the eye.

"No. The principal said that I might be able to, but she isn't sure since not many clubs need new members. They're all pretty much full."

"What about a sports club?"

Your eyes widened at Kuroo's suggestion. You thought about it for a moment, then shrugged.

"I'm not sure, I'm not very athletic –as a matter of fact, I'm not athletic at all– so I don't think I'd contribute anything to the team."