The View From Up Here

"Luz, are you sure you know how to fly this thing?!"

"I've done it before!"

"That doesn't answer my question!" Amity's heart was pounding in her chest and her stomach was doing somersaults, the staff flipping and hopping underneath her as it rode the aggressive turbulence of the wind. With every jump she couldn't help but yelp, trying her best to hold onto the wooden stick with all of her might. Out of all of the ways she could die, she didn't think that trusting Luz on a hairless broomstick was one of them. "Let me off of this stupid thing!"

Almost as if on cue, the witch was thrown forward and she lost her grip, momentarily hanging in the air amidst her panic. Without thinking, she threw her arms forward and clenched her eyes shut as tight as she could, holding her breath in fear. Her fingers clawed at something, and she buried her face into the soft fabric she was holding, not even bothering to open her eyes. "I'm sorry!"

"Owlbert, play nice... for me?" Within seconds Luz had gained control over the staff, the rough flight turning into a gentle flow. It was only then that she noticed that Amity was hugging her waist, cuddling into her like she was a safety blanket... but she wasn't complaining. If this made her friend feel safe, then she was happy to be the one she could hold onto- besides, she liked hugs from Amity. "We're almost there, okay?"

"Okay, just make it quick, I prefer being within 10 feet of solid ground." Her words came out mumbled, the witch never once taking her face away from the back of her friend's jumper, even when the rushing wind slowed to a soft flutter. Despite her anxiety, the small chuckle that reached her ears calmed her, but she still didn't dare to loosen her hold.

It only took a few more minutes and they were there. The flying staff slowed itself and came to a halt, hanging statuary in the bleeding sky with the warmth of the lowering Sun enveloping the pair. It had been awhile since Luz had been up here with Eda, so it was refreshing to see the stunning view once more. She tried to turn but was only met with a strong resistance, so she looked down with a raised eyebrow to see her friend still clutching at her hoodie like a lifeline. "Amity, you can open your eyes now."

"Hm?" At first, Amity hadn't paid attention to the fact that they had stopped, only now just feeling the dancing breeze playing with her seafoam tresses. A part of her still begged her to keep her eyes shut: out of sight, out of mind as Willow always said. She couldn't avoid it forever, so here goes nothing. Slowly but surely, she cracked open her eyes, facing her reality. "It's... beautiful."

"I know right?" Luz admired Amity's awe with excitement, grinning from ear to ear when her face lit up at the picturesque view. The golden, celestial body in the crimson sky was already half-way disappeared beyond the horizon, whatever was left shining through the bone pillars of the breath-taking landmark. The girl turned her attention to the amazing landscape, feeling at ease with the place that she called her second home.

"How did you know about this?"

"Eda showed me this place." The answer came quickly and without a second thought, the conversation flowing as naturally as the river running through the ravine. Luz thought fondly of her mentor, taking a second to appreciate everything she had done for her thus far- without her this moment wouldn't be real. This place was special to her, and so she wanted to share it with someone special- her bestfriend. "She wanted me to see the Boiling Isles for what it truly is."

Amity let out an abrupt laugh at her friend's words, finding them more humourous than charming. It was a bit of a silly thing to say, and even funnier to hear. The young witch only stopped when she noticed Luz's blatant confusion, her eyebrow raised in a silent wonder. She cleared her throat and shook her head as a few stray giggles slipped out, meeting those deep, brown eyes to clarify herself. "The Boiling Isles is a mess of misfits and aristocrats, not to mention nasty, stinky-"

"Well that's because you've only ever seen it from one place." The young prodigy stopped her list of negativity immediately, caught off guard by her friend's comeback, one that she couldn't argue with. It was true, she had only ever begrudgingly lived in her home, never once taking a step back to appreciate the natural wonders of her realm. Luz noticed her surprise, but she knew that Amity would never admit when she was at fault of her own tunnel vision. Time for a life lesson. "You see, when you see at something from a different point of view, it looks different. When you change your perspective-"

"You get a new part of the picture." Amity finished off her sentence, now coming to realise how much she had missed out on. Quite possibly, even she could admit that it wasn't all bad. She chuckled under her breath and glanced back out over the setting, the last ray of light embracing them both with its final burst of warmth. The witch faced her friend once more, a teasing smirk resting on her fair face. "Tell me Noceda, when did you get so poetic?"

"Seems like we're already beginning to learn new things about each other." Luz responded with a soft grin, snickering at the playful slight from the witch. The gentle wisps of wind rustled her short locks, the night beginning to dawn upon them. They didn't notice however, that's how it usually was with them- time would fly and they would never notice.

"What do you mean?" Amity brushed her own strands of rebellious hair behind her ear, tilting her head at the statement in curiosity. While she had learned about Luz, what could Luz have possibly gathered from her? Unless it was... no, how could she possibly know? No one knew, right? A faint flush of crimson invaded her cheeks, her lips curling up into a sheepish smile.

"I learned that you're afraid of heights, silly!" The girl laughed heartily at her friend's lack of awareness, not seeing the unusual red that painted the pale face before her. Seriously? How could they fly up here, and her not notice that she was afraid of heights? It was obvious! Luz was only met with a bewildered stare, the bout of laughter soon silencing to mere looks between them. "Are you not?"

"N-no?"

"Oh... I just assumed you were since you're still holding onto me."