"Why's that?"

Wilbur again looked at George, biting his lip, holding in another expression of shock. "Oh, so you don't know."

He crossed his arms, raising an eyebrow. "Know what?"

Wilbur looked away. "Never mind."

"Tell me!" George whined, letting out an annoyed groan. He was tired and sleep-deprived, and wasn't willing to deal with his curiosity. 

But Wilbur just laughed, completely ignoring him. "I don't know if that works with Dream, but it won't with me."

George feigned a pout, rolling his eyes. "Where even is he?"

"I'm pretty sure he's talking in codes to Illumina." He answered. "The rest of the players should be here tomorrow morning with 400 players." 

George tilted his head. 400 players was certainly a lot, but he really didn't know if it warranted waiting for them. 

Because each second here was risk. 

And he didn't know if he was willing to take it. 

"Why is everyone so scared of the fortress?" George asked nonchalantly. Of course he was scared, and that made sense since he was so new to the game, but to have people like Dream and Illumina who have been here for months worry about it too felt unsettling to say the least. 

Wilbur shot him a weird look, thinking he was out of his mind. "Have you not heard of the first time we found a fortress?" 

George shook his head. "I haven't heard of anything apparently." He spat out. 

Wilbur sighed, taking a seat next to George. He seemed tired too, and this game was obviously taking a toll on him. 

"Well, we found a fortress about 3 months into the game." He explained, causing George to give off a confused expression.

"Wait if we already found a fortress so long ago the-"

"Let me finish." George moved back, nodding. 

"We sent all our players there, Techno lead the army. Everything was going fine, a bunch of players had died to the skeletons, but that was to be expected. What we didn't expect was for those bastards to come out of no where." 

George swallowed the air behind his throat, watching as Wilbur clenched his fists.

"We didn't know they had existed till then, but all of a sudden a few people started placing down those nether respawn thingy-"

"Respawn anchors." George clarified.

"Yeah those." He sighed. "Then they just started killing us, and since most of us didn't have diamond picks we couldn't break them. So we ended up just fighting, only for them to respawn, grab their stuff and go killing us again."

George felt his heart stop as he listened to Wilbur speak. His voice clearly trying so hard to hide the anger and malice.

"How many people died?" George asked, his tone earnest and sad, contrary to Wilbur's full of silent rage. 

"5000." He replied, his head dropping. "There were only about 200 of them, but 5000 of us died, none of them did. That's where Techno died."

George's eyes widened in disbelief as Wilbur faked a smile in reassurance. 

"He died so that we could live. He held them off while the rest of us left ran." Wilbur said, solemnly. "Some stayed back though, and joined them."

George could imagine how much it must've hurt. He knew Wilbur and Techno were close friends, and he didn't even want to think about losing his own.