Ch. 9 | I Don't Care if You're Contagious

Start from the beginning

Your eyes leave the holo in front of you and land on Luke before glancing at Leia. Both of them stare back at you and watch as the gears turn in your head.

"I guess...I don't really know. Obi-Wan is from here and was with me in my time. The only other similarity aside from the stuff he taught me, is our bookstore which is called the World Between Worlds. I spent a majority of my time there with him. I mentioned it the first time I met Leia and she'd heard of it. I literally can't think of anything else that could give me answers. I just have a feeling that's where my answers will be."

Luke stares at you for a moment before giving you a quick nod and turning around to face Leia's desk. He speaks to you over his shoulder as he flips through the pages of one of the large books.

"What do you know about the World Between Worlds?"

This feels like a pop quiz you haven't studied for and are about to fail.

"I know it's some sort of mystical plane that's more of a rumor than anything."

Luke slowly turns to look at you in disbelief.

"What?! I've been asking for information since Tatooine and you keep brushing me off. If I knew a bunch about it would I be nagging you? No!"

"In fairness, that's what I told her when she mentioned it originally. I don't know much about the ancient Jedi texts and what not. I remember Ben mentioning it after he read about it in some book when he was little. I assumed you would know more about it."

"You assumed correctly, to an extent."

You and Leia both groan at Luke's non-answer.

"Do you want to know what I know or not?"

You huff and walk around Luke, grab the chair next to him, and pull it around the desk until you're sitting next to Leia. When Luke is sure you're settled and you're both paying attention, he starts explaining what he knows.

"The World Between Worlds is also known as a Vergence Scatter or the-" You cut Luke off before he can finish.

"I KNOW WHAT A VERGENCE IS!" you yell loud enough to startle them both with your eagerness to prove you're not a complete idiot.

"Vergence scatter. Not a Vergence. Now if you're quite done interrupting."

You huff and slouch down back in your chair. Leia pats you on the knee as if to say she knows exactly how frustrating he is.

"As I was saying before I was rudely interrupted, the World Between Worlds is also known as a Vergence Scatter and/or the Netherworld of Unbeing. It's a mystical plane within the Force as a collection of doorways and pathways that exist between time and space, linking all moments in time together."

Luke watches you sit up a bit straighter and glance between the various holos projected nearby. When you open your mouth to speak he puts up his hand to silence you before you can interrupt again. You scowl but stay quiet.

"What do you know about the Force?"

"Well, my understanding of it prior to reading the books I've read is that the Force is...well it's everything. Life, death, and the balance between the two. It's like an energy field that binds the galaxy together," you say meekly, expecting to be scolded again.

When he nods again, you relax slightly.

"This book describes the Force as a ribbon across all reality and it can be traversed through the World Between Worlds."

"The World Between World links all time and space using the Force. I know I'll find my answers there."

"I think it's the only place you'll get answers, if you get any at all," Luke sighs.