Not mice, I conclude—unless, like Herodotus' ants, they're unusually large.

Setting the book aside, I stand and begin to slowly walk the length of the room, listening for further sounds and hoping to establish the source. It's probably just a pair of guests—or several—in an adjoining room, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I can almost hear something, but it's so faint—just at the edge of detection—that I can't be sure, and I blow out a breath of frustration.

If I had my wolf's ears, I'd have no trouble at all.

With this thought, I glance at either door.

The house is quiet, the guests all occupied (in one way or another) and no one has entered since Julian left. What's the point of having super-normal abilities if I didn't use them, anyway?

Deciding to risk it, I close my eyes, concentrate, and Shift just my ears.

Instantly, sounds are sharper, louder, clearer, and gloriously three-dimensional. Not that there's much to hear.

There's music coming from the main hall—along with the usual mix of chatter and laughter—and other sounds from nearby rooms. One of these I think I recognize as what I'd been hearing—a sort of rhythmic bump and scrape, with an occasional creak, as of a large piece of furniture being unfortunately abused.

Realizing the probable cause, I grimace and prepare to Shift back, having discovered it was possible to be both safe and sorry.

Before I do, though, another sound catches my attention—this one from the opposite side of the room. There, a large tapestry hangs on the wall—medieval, by the look of it—framed by large drapes that could be drawn to protect the priceless fabric from light or dust.

At least Barker had the sense to care about preservation.

The noise is very soft—a slight whisper and a quiet, almost undetectable drumming. I move closer, slowly, ears swiveling as I pinpoint the area of its source. I stop in front of the drapes and stare. I swear it's right in front of me, but there's nothing to see. I tilt my head from side to side, listening, thinking maybe it's pipes in the wall, but it's not a mechanical sound. It's softer, quiet—like a slow heartbeat.

I realize, with a cold thrill, that a heartbeat is exactly what it is. There's only one person I know who can stand right in front of someone without being seen, though I don't know why'd he be doing so now.

"Julian?" I whisper, wide-eyed as I stretch out my hand. "What are you doing?"

With a soft laugh, a figure materializes from the shadows beside the drapes and my own heart nearly stops.

Instead of Julian, Ambrose Thorne looks down at me, sharp teeth showing in a smile.

"Well, isn't that a neat trick?" he says, lifting his brows as he studies my ears.

I'm frozen with shock and can't un-Shift, though there's no point anyway, now.

"Do you have the tail, too?" he asks, moving closer to peer over my shoulder at my back.

I nearly trip in my haste to back away from him, and he catches me by the upper arms, grinning with amusement at my fright.

"Relax, little wolf. I'm not one to fear. Not for you, at least."

"D-D-Doctor Thorne!" I gasp, but stop as his hands tighten painfully on my arms and he goes stiff and alert, amusement vanishing as he stares past me over my shoulder.

Then, to my further shock, he spins me around, shoves me against the drapes, and covers my ears with his hands.

"I told you," he whispers, "to call me Ambrose."