I was rotting poor. I'm obscene and immature and obnoxious.

But he still loved me and I still loved him.

I took deep breathes, reassuring myself by repeating these in my head as we drove into the slow traffic. All around us, booths had been set up with snacks, trinkets, and fake psychics trying to rip people off. Fair rides had been set up, making the riders shriek and laugh aloud. The heavy scent of Italian desserts rose into the air.

Normally I'd be enjoying this kind of thing.

Today, it only made me sick to my stomach.

The taxi pulled along the road and dropped us off at the square before we got out. Vladimir paid the man and scanned for a way to get to The Colosseum from our position. He moved and I followed, taking Luca's hand to lead him. He gripped my hand tightly, his hand hot like sunlight in my palm. I looked at him to see him staring straight at me, but not seeing me.

I looked away and we moved on through the crowd, almost cringing in the bright rays of the sunlight that beat down on us. Thankfully the clouds were beginning to move in, stretching across the sun to hide it. Too bad for the festival as it looked about ready to rain.

We waited near the entrance to The Colosseum, tourists filing in and out, giggling and taking photos of everything. Vladimir stood straight and tall, towering over pretty much everyone who came in and out of the place. Luca and I just awkwardly stood near him.

"What time is it?" Luca asked, lifting his head to find Vladimir, who glanced down at his expensive silver watch before lowering his arm.

"It's about five thirty. Just another hour or so and the place will close down for the evening." He informed, making Luca nod. I frowned, glancing at him as I adjusted the sleeves of my snug black sweatshirt.

"How are we supposed to get in after hours?" I asked. Vladimir stared straight ahead, his eyes scanning the crowd as if he was searching intently for the enemy.

"You'll see." He told me. I didn't ask any further questions. I'd probably just get the same response. I searched the crowd, watching families, friends, and couples mingle. It was strange to think that at one point, I was just like them.

I didn't know anything about this hidden world of vampires and gods and demons. I only worried about getting caught with drugs or booze, when I'd get smacked around by the old man, if I was gonna get jumped at school.

Now I was standing with one of the most dangerous dictators, a blind dream god, preparing for a rendezvous with a dangerous vampire terrorist group.

Sometimes, I wonder if this was just all a big nightmare.

I thought I'd be relieved about the time the enter the building, but I was anything, but. I was nervous and sweaty and sick. I was afraid to see what Alexander and Storm looked like after being held captive by Zephyra. Vladimir approached the gates, the security guard looking up and opening his mouth to protest before Vladimir said something in Italian.

The security guard's eyes glowed for a second before he stepped aside and unlocked the gates, letting us in. I blinked in surprise, walking in with Luca at my side, our hands linked together.

"How'd you do that?" I asked. Vladimir glanced at me.

"It's a secret." He responded, making me scrunch up my nose in distaste. To my utter surprise, Vladimir smiled and reached out, ruffling my hair before walking ahead. I blinked, then hurried after him. I could've sworn Vladimir would rather have his sac sliced off than ever touch me in a friendly manner.

That made me even more nervous as I hurried to keep up with him while leading Luca beside me.

We entered on a large platform that looked out at The Colosseum. It was huge with rows and rows of ruined stands. Half of it was falling apart, showing how ancient it was. My eyes widened at how cool it was. If we weren't on such a tight schedule with death, I would've started running around to oogle at everything.