21 | The School Magazine

By noon, Anay had shaved, bathed, and dressed. He knew what he had to do. There was only one person who could figure out the connection of the photograph. But that would mean telling her everything, right from the beginning. He had thought about it all night long, sitting near the window of the hotel room, smoking till he gave up coughing, and had come to the conclusion that he had to enlist Shanaya's help. There was no one else who could throw light on this.

But just as he was about to step out, there was a knock on his hotel room door. He opened it to find Kautuk standing there. He had a bag in his hands. He could see some biscuits and snacks in it. "Just thought you'd like to munch on something sitting here in the room."

"Thanks, man!" said Anay, taking the bag and keeping it on the desk.

Kautuk noticed his attire. "Were you stepping out?"

"Yes."

"Where?"

Anay thought of telling him about the photograph, but then he desisted. It was probably a wild goose chase, and anyway Kautuk would not know anything about it. He didn't want to bother him with another clue that led nowhere. And he didn't want to mention Shanaya to him. His low opinion of her hadn't been a secret anyway.

"Just to look at something," he said.

"Look at what?"

The coverup came easily to him. "I want to find a house, Kautuk. I want to find a job too. Maybe I'll fall at Salil's feet. He'll understand that it wasn't my fault and I have been good for his company."

"You are going to beg?"

"What option do I have?"

"Don't lose your dignity, bro. Even after everything is gone, our self-respect is all we have."

"Do I have any of it left?" Anay laughed sardonically.

Kautuk led him to the bed. "Sit down. Sit down here for a minute." Anay sat on the edge of the bed and Kautuk sat next to him. They could see themselves in the mirror on the wall across, sitting side by side like that. Kautuk said, "Look, bro, there was one thing we all look up to you for, and that's your dignity. The way how you never compromised. Stood tall. Even Salil admired you for that. Now, even if you get back at Changemakers, you are not going to find that respect there anymore. And what's left there? Renee is gone, Vishwa is out of commission, and I am quitting too. Yes, you heard that right. I cannot bear working there anymore."

"You are quitting? Then what will you do?"

"We two jobless blokes will job-hunt together, that's what!"

"You should hunt alone. My profile is tarnished now. You mustn't associate yourself with me."

Kautuk placed a hand on Anay's shoulder. "You think I am such a shallow friend? I have learnt so much working under you. I won't give up our friendship for the sake of a job."

"And what about my accommodation? I cannot live in a hotel room forever. My money has almost run out."

"Don't worry about money," Kautuk said. "Okay, I haven't told you this. I am moving out, actually. I have been meaning to do it for about a year now. My parents are quite orthodox and that's not a place I want to grow up in. I will keep sending them money and visit them, of course, but I am moving out. I might have even found an apartment. It's big. It has two rooms. Do you want to be roomies?"

Anay looked at his friend, warmly surprised at the offer. His eyes went moist; his voice gagged. It was a feeling he hadn't had in a long time. He was someone who had struggled in the city; a struggler recognizes kindness better than anyone else. "But I cannot do that!" he said.