"Sokka!" Zuko yelled from down the crowded hall.

Sokka turned around, a suspicious look upon his face. He shoved past kids to get to Zuko.

"What?" He asked. "I have to get to class."

"Uh.... I wanted to say... hello?" Zuko said slowly.

"That's it?" Sokka scoffed. "Whatever. Bye."

"Yeah! Uh, See... See you around!" Zuko winced at his own awkwardness. "Why am I so bad at being good....?"

Zuko felt Aang touch his shoulder and sighed. It was time for art class. With Ty-Lee. And Haru. For the first time since the showcase incident.

"It's okay to be nervous, Zuko," Aang said as they walked.

"Whatever," He said hatefully, and then his face softened, like he felt guilty about his tone. "I don't like being nervous."

"No one does," Aang smiled. "But... I'll be there for you."

Zuko only nodded. They stood in front of the door. Aang grabbed the handle and pulled it open for him. Zuko walked in first, with Aang right behind him.

"Hey, guys," Aang said to Ty-Lee and Haru as he sat down.

Zuko's face was red with embarrassment, and he didn't say anything.

"Hi..." Ty-Lee had her gaze fixed on the table. Haru was looking anywhere but at Zuko.

And Zuko knew it. Aang watched as he angrily got out of his chair and shoved it under the table. Then he made his exit, carrying his raggedy old backpack on one shoulder.

Aang wanted to follow him. But he knew the teacher would stop him. Apparently they had been advised to just call the campus security if he acted out or left the class without permission.

But the art teacher simply watched him leave. Aang was grateful for that. She understood.

The next time Aang saw Zuko was in 7th period. He was watering his potted mango seed, a solemn look painted on his face.

Toph was standing next to him, holding his wrist gently. Aang walked to his other side and didn't say anything.

"Everyone thinks I'm a psycho," He said.

"We know you're not," Toph said. "And not everyone thinks that. A lot of people understand. I know the teachers do."

"I shouldn't care," Zuko sair, staring at the small sprout in the flower pot. "I just... do."

"Having emotions is normal," Aang said. "I know you're probably used to keeping them locked away."

Zuko glared at him. He grabbed his pot and turned away from them. "I don't know why I'm even telling you this."

Aang felt hurt. He wanted Zuko to see him a friend he could confide in, not a stranget that wanted his personal secrets for his own social gain. Toph felt the same way, Aang could see it on her face.

Zuko looked as emotionless as he always did.

The little clay dragon statue stared at Aang. It wouldn't stop. Eventually he got sick of its glare and threw it into his drawer.

After a minute of letting it sit in the drawer. he felt a twinge of guilt and pulled it back out. The dragon sat lopsided in his palm.

He wished Zuko would stop being do afraid to make friends. Surely he'd had friends before his mother was murdered?

Making friends with him would be harder than expected. He would have to explain his thoughts to Toph before Zuko got to the bus stop.

It was friday tomorrow, a day Aang should've been excited for, but he was really just anxious to see if Zuko still liked him.

Aang set the dragon back on the dresser top and pulled his covers to his chin. Sleep would help calm his mind, but everybody knows you can't keep organized thoughts when you're about to sleep.

Toph agreed with what Aang told her. So when Zuko arrived at the bus and sat down between them, Toph ignored his silence and hugged him as best she could.

Aang did the same. Zuko looked very confused. "What are you guys doing?"

"Showing you we're good friends," Toph said.

"I know that," Zuko said incredulously. "Get off."

They both released him and gave an equally confused look. He sighed. "I know I can be an ass somtimes. It's just hard for me to... allow myself to... show my real self. If that makes sense."

"I get it," Aang said. "We're not going to do anything to lose your trust. I know I don't know anything about your past experience with friends... but they must've done something."

"No, they didn't do anything," Zuko looked down. "We're almost to school."

Aang was going to push him further but he seriously didn't want to overstep. He had just gotten him to be friends, and he was surprisingly affectionate to him and Toph. It was nice, and refreshing to feel like that in such a short amount of time. Aang liked the feeling. He liked the feeling of being around Zuko.

It was warm, and not just because of his heightened body temperature. His chest felt warm. He was like 99% sure Toph felt the same. It was a friend thing... He was 98% sure on that one....

omg tysm for reading aha!!! i didn't expect this many readers lol

vote and comment if you like! love yall <3<3<3<3