"But you agreed to go hang out with him and his friends," I say.

Gavin shrugs. "My friends and I have always been curious about those delinquents. I'll have fun telling the guys all about it later."

I clench my teeth and ball my hands into fists. He's mean and judgemental, and I don't want to be a part of it because I like Annie. She's the closest to a friend I have.

Gavin leans in to kiss me, but I take a step back. "Mom's gonna be home in a minute. I don't want to disrespect her."

***

The following day, Gavin and I arrive at The Temple well after eight. He got lost and spent the entire time complaining about the bumpy road and muddy ground.

As we approach the clearing, a bonfire and a group of people sitting on the logs around it come into view.

Every guy has a girl on his lap. I spot Annie and Mac. O'Brien's sitting with a busty, dark-haired girl, who's kissing his neck as if they're alone in the bedroom and not in front of everyone. O'Brien's hand is gripping her butt, and Gavin notices it, too.

"Leah, Gavin, I'm glad you came," O'Brien says.

After a round of introductions, I sit on the log with Gavin.

O'Brien nods at him. "Are you gonna let your girl sit there?"

Gavin scoffs. "She's decent, unlike the people here."

"All of us are decent, Gavin," Mac says. "That's why we don't let the girls sit on wet logs and catch a cold."

Gavin huffs at Mac's words while I stare at my knees.

"Do you want anything to drink?" Annie asks, saving me from the predicament Gavin got us into.

I shoot her a grateful smile. "Yes, please."

She opens a cooler, takes two bottles of beer, and extends them to us.

"We're underage," Gavin says.

Annie snorts. "Everyone here is. A beer can't hurt anyone."

I reach for the bottle, but Gavin's fingers wrap around my wrist, and heat engulfs my cheeks. Could he make me more uncomfortable?

O'Brien's quiet; he's busy kissing the girl on his lap. She shamelessly grinds against him, gripping his hair and moaning. My eyes can't stray from the two of them.

"Disgusting," Gavin says loud enough for everyone to hear.

O'Brien stops what he's been doing. "What's disgusting? Kissing a girl?"

Gavin shrugs. "Yeah. You're in public. People don't need to see that."

O'Brien narrows his eyes at my boyfriend. "People can fuck off, Fer."

"I'm Gavin."

"Sorry, I forgot. I was busy, as you can see. So, since kissing isn't your thing, tell us what you enjoy doing. Any hobbies?"

"I have plenty, unlike you. I'm good at science."

O'Brien shrugs. "I'm good with bikes."

"Any idiot can ride and fix them."

Laughing, O'Brien glances at Mac and then focuses his attention on Gavin. "So, you've called me an idiot—a beautiful start of a friendship."

Gavin scoffs. "I wouldn't be friends with people like you."

"Why?" Mac asks.

Annie shakes her head and looks at her lap, while Mac pecks her cheek and hugs her tighter.