Chapter One

Maddie

      I was lost and that was clearly obvious. I kept walking hoping to reach any main road, I just wanted to go home. Suddenly I heard dogs barking which meant they were close. Shit I thought to myself. I began running; I ran until I was out of breath and fell. I guess I had run far enough because I hadn’t heard anyone, or saw anything. When I looked up I saw I had reached a road.

     I slowly got up and began walking I had no idea where I was going. All I was able to think about was what if they find me? They’ll definitely kill me. I had walked for about two miles until I saw headlights coming from afar. I tried to hide because I didn't know who was coming. What if it was 'them'? I would have made their search for me way to easy...

      The car must have seen me, because it began to slow down. A window started rolling down and pulled up to where I was and a young man asked “Hey girl behind the tree. Are you okay? Do you need a ride?" 

“No, I am not okay. I don't know where I am. I cannot accept a ride because I don't believe I have any place to go...” I said, as the words came out of my mouth I saw what I had said sounded stupid but I didn’t know what else to say.

Suddenly the young man looked concerned; he said “Well, it seems to be that you’re in Arizona. Come on, get in. We’ll go to my place get you cleaned up, you’ll eat a nice hot meal, and I’ll help get you home.” His eyes showed honesty, and his face expressed much concern.

I thought about it for a second, I really don’t have anything to lose, I have been missing for G-d knows how long. I don't know where my family is, they don't know where I am... I'm as good as dead.. So what the hell? I thought as I got into the car. 

     We had sat in silence for what seemed to be twenty minutes when he asked “How'd you end up in the middle of nowhere?

I looked at him and he look concerned and confused. "I really don't want to talk about it." I answered.

"Okay." He responded. I looked at him and saw he wanted to ask more questions, but he didn't and that was a good thing.

      About ten minutes later the car began to slow down and the stranger pulled his car into a driveway to a beautiful ranch. "Were here" he said with little enthusiasm.  

We both got out the car, and he led the way to the front door. He opened the door and gestured for me to enter first. I quickly did. “I’m sorry, but I forgot to ask; what’s your name?” he asked.

“Uh, name is Madison, but please call me Maddie” I said shyly.

“What a beautiful name, I’m Joshua.” He said smiling.

“Thank you” I said my cheeks growing red.

     He closed the door behind him and gestured for me to follow him to the guest room, I did. When we walked in I was shocked. It was a beautiful room. The walls were painted sky blue, the window curtains were an off white and the furniture was an antique wood set. In front of the bed there was a large T.V.. "What a nice room." I said sincerely.

"Well, I'm glad you like it because this is where you're going to be staying until we can get you home safely." He said smiling. His face expressed concern and his eyes showed honesty.

“No, I can’t stay here. I just need a phone so I can find a way home” I said getting nervous. People who pick up hitchhikers are not supposed to be kind. Why was this man being nice to me? What did he want from me, did he know something I didn’t? I started getting nervous. A little too nervous because I had began shaking. I guess I was having a panic attack, he immediately ran to the kitchen grabbed me a glass of water and came back.